Author Topic: Is this the same Arthur Jones?  (Read 1632 times)

Online purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the same Arthur Jones?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Gadget,   do you have an example of the son in laws writing?  I am a natural sceptic, i don't think they are by the same hand.  Sorry to rock the boat!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have one on the marriage bond but It's not at all the same.

Why do you not think it's the same?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Just turned up son in law's will of 1760. He actually mentions a brother in law who is mentioned in Arthur Jones's will as married to his daughter  so I think it's proof that it's the same family.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
The 'A' has an unusual formation, and apart from a line so fine that it's disappeared in the top one, it's the same in both. To me that on its own is fairly conclusive.

I'm slightly disconcerted at the extra letter between the 'u' and the 'r' in the top one. It looks possibly as though the ink gave out on his first attempt at the 'r', then after dipping the pen again, rather than overwriting it he added an extra letter.

I'm totally familiar with people not knowing how to spell Arthur, but when it's your own name, you tend to get it right.  :)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for comments  :)

He learnt to spell by the time he wrote his will, Arthur  ;D He was probably born 1650-60 as his first daughter son was born 1680. I can't get back any further at the moment.

I'm wondering whether he was thrown by his name in Latin at the top of the Bond:

Online purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Gadget, looks as though the ayes have it!  My thoughts are pretty much the same as arthurk. I agree that ones writing does alter over years but i didn't think 22 years would produce such a difference.  I was just sort of tracing the writing and finding it hard to align the two specimens on certain letters. However, i concede it would appear pretty conclusive.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
I wish I could find his baptism or marriage though.  I'm currently browsing the Ellesmere records from 1640 onwards but it's very difficult - faint text, etc.  He would have been born at an interesting time in our history - Civil wars, Commonwealth, Restoration, etc.  ..... so he could have been born anywhere. I've found a couple of baptisms in S. Shropshire and Worcester - wonder if the family fled after Worcester??!??