Author Topic: Help With Translation of German Death Record Please.  (Read 1750 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help With Translation of German Death Record Please.
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have found a death record for my 3x gt uncle Wilhelm Otto Wolters who died in Hamburg in 1918. Only problem is it is in German & I can't read it! Well I can make out a couple of names but that is about it!

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Translation of German Death Record Please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
Nr 1061
Hamburg am 29 Juli 1908

Auf schriftliche Anzeige der Direktion des Werks- und Armenhauses wird eingetragen.

Das der frühere Mechaniker Wilhelm Otto Wolters,

73 Jahre und 4 Monaten alt, Katholischer Religion

Wohnhaft in Hamburg im Werks- und Armenhaus

geboren zu Moorfleth, 3 März 1845

verheiratet gewesen mit der angeblich in London verstorbenen Josephine, geborene Bauer

Sohn der angeblich in Moorfleth verstorbene Lehrers und Organisten Jürgen Hinrich Wolters und seiner angeblich in England verstorbenen  Ehefrau Christine Caroline Henriette geborene Traun.

In Hamburg im genannter Anstalt am sieben und zwanzigsten Juli des Jahres 1918
nachmittags um Zwölf ein Halb Uhr verstorben sei.

19 Druckworte gestrichen

Registered according to written notification of the directorate of the work and poor house

That the former Mechanic Wilhelm Otto Wolters

73 years and 4 months old, catholic

Resident in Hamburg in the work and poor house.

born in Moorfleth, 3 march 1845

formerly married to the allegedly, in London deceased, Josephine nee Bauer

Son of the alleged Jürgen Hinrich Wolters, teacher and organist, deceased, from Moorfleth and his wife, the alleged Christine Caroline Henriette nee Traun.
in England deceased.

Died in Hamburg, in the above mentioned establishment, on the 20 July 1918
at 12:30 pm

19 printed words erased (this is the registrar validating the words that are stroken through)

Dave

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Very many thanks indeed, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Son of the alleged Jürgen Hinrich Wolters, teacher and organist

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
HI Dave,

I was too late to translate the certificate myself - I think you spend more time here than I do.  ;)

There is one little thing that I would like to point out, if I may be so bold.  :)
I interpret the use of "angeblich" slightly differently: For me, the three references all mean that the 3 people allegedly died in London, Moorfleth and England respectively. 
It sounds as though there was no actual proof that they all died in those places, as opposed to the actual identities being questionable.

I hope you see what I mean...  :)

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
that´s exactly what i meant.

But, reading my text again i tend to agree with you. It does seem as though i was questioning the existance of the individuals.

Thanks for pointing that out ;)

Regards
Dave

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
I hate writing things like that. They make me look like a wannabe smart-arse.  :-[

I wanted to clarify it, though, as it may be relevant for David if he tries to track down the relatives named in the cert. It may well be that they did indeed all die in the places named, but the angeblich could mean that David might have some serious detective work ahead of him...  :o
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Josephine died in 1894 death registered in Hendon Reg District, she was born in London in 1848.

Wilhelm listed as Otto is in Willesden in the 1901 census.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, Karen & Gibel,

Many thanks indeed for you replies, very much appreciated indeed.

Dave, many thanks for the full transcription of the death record, much appreciated.

Karen, my thanks for your input & clarification, much appreciated.

Gibel, Those details are indeed correct, Josephine Bauer married Wilhelm Otto Wolters in 1875 in Westminster, London.

Thread here I started about Wilhelm Otto Wolters: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699932.msg6513022#msg6513022

Having had a look on freebmd, I don't see a death in England for his mother Christine.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David