Author Topic: Introducing your Family History research into everyday conversation  (Read 5260 times)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing your Family History research into everyday conversation
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
I mark people who've disappeared as "DISAPPEARED" on the tree as a suffix to their surname; when I'm bored I can randomly pick one and have another look.

Today I looked and found an ANC tree had them on .... so I peeked.  The tree had a bit of incest with a brother and a son "Ello!" I thought, "bet that's wrong....".  While I appreciate it went on, I just didn't think this lot were right .... so I dug around and found that the ANC tree was entirely off the mark.  *sighs* ... shame as her brother's marked as "DISAPPEARED" on my tree too and this'd have tied them up nicely as to where to ... and a "why?" ....

I'd have slid that story in anywhere/everywhere if it were proven! 
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Introduced your family history into everyday conversation? I have done so, when someone says they are from an area of the country where my ancestors came from. I say I have ancestors from there but they lose interest when I say they were living there in the nineteenth century. Unless you are into genealogy I don't think people know anything beyond their grandparents. But it's worth mentioning, for the conversation that might arise, and you never know, you might be talking to a distant cousin you didn't know about.
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
... it's worth mentioning, for the conversation that might arise, and you never know, you might be talking to a distant cousin you didn't know about.
My aunt was gardening in her front garden one day when a couple walked past; they were on holiday and it was a "hello" nodding moment as they stopped to say how nice the garden looked ... which lead onto where they were from and their holiday "we're here for family history reasons...", my aunt's passion ... and it turned out they were related :)
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
You see what I mean! It hasn't happened to me btw.
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 August 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Well, my discovery that my wife's family were my family's servants has provided me with an excellent conversation-piece; and if my interlocutor is not remotely interested in family history research then no worry, as that particular conversation can head off in no end of different directions ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Finding a new ancestral line to me is like winning the jackpot, like they think that when their fave football team wins a game. Sometimes it can be hard to even feign interest.

Yesterday I found yet another Essex line that came from Suffolk, and it has given me a new bunch of ancestors to research.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain