Author Topic: Registering a birth  (Read 1922 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 June 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Caroline knew her birth date - 3rd of January  would be in the first quarter of 1869 - but got her birthyear wrong?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 June 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Quite likely.  In those days there wasn't the need to prove birth dates like there is today.

If you want to be certain then you can obtain her birth cert as a pdf which costs £6 instead of one at £9.25.  These can be ordered from the GRO website:-

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 June 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I've used the PDF service a couple of times now - I'm ordering two more on Saturday that I haven't been able to get from churches. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple more before I order any more.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 June 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
She wasn't the one giving the age or DOB when she died,so it's possible that whoever did so,wasn't 100% sure of the year,or just did the maths wrong.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 June 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
True, but she wrote '68' on the 1939 Register! I reckon she just got the year wrong. That's the most likely scenario.