Author Topic: child out of wedlock  (Read 757 times)

Offline Grindian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
child out of wedlock
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Elizabeth Irvine Marshall was born in 1905 in Cambusnethan, possibly at 82 Cambusnethan St and died in Leicester in 1940. She left the UK as a single person in 1928 but some time prior to that had a child out of wedlock. I'm interested in finding out if anyone has any knowledge of the child that was born or of where I might find out about the birth of the child.
Cheers.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: child out of wedlock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
You might be able to locate a birth on scotland's people. Not much of a time window to search.
Adoption at that era would be an informal arrangement though. Not likely to be much of a paper trail.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: child out of wedlock
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Elizabeth Irvine Marshall was born in 1905 in Cambusnethan, possibly at 82 Cambusnethan St and died in Leicester in 1940. She left the UK as a single person in 1928 but some time prior to that had a child out of wedlock. I'm interested in finding out if anyone has any knowledge of the child that was born or of where I might find out about the birth of the child.
Hmmm. I am afraid the words 'haystack' and 'needle' spring to mind.

It is possible, but could be time-consuming. You would need to go in person to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh or one of the archives that offers accesss to the SP system. Then just find all the births of Marshalls from say 1920 to 1928 and look at each one in turn until you find it.

There were 2,926 births of Marshalls in Scotland 1920 to 1928
Of these, 1,192 were in the County of Lanark
Of these, 26 were in the parish of Cambusnethan

So if Elizabeth stayed in Cambusnethan and had her child there, it would be fairly easy. If the baby was born in, say, Glasgow, it could be a very long search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.