Author Topic: Robert or Robert Henry Rosser b 22 Jul 1767 St Martin in the Fields, London  (Read 620 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The above married Mary Ann or Ann of unknown mn, they had 2 sons, Robert b c. 1790 bapt 10 Feb 1790 St Giles in the Fields and John b 15 May 1791 and bapt 19 Jun 1791 St Martin in the Fields. There could have been more children but can't find any? I think Robert Snr passed away Nov 1820 and was buried 20 Nov 1820 Spa Fields. His wife Mary, may have passed 1838 at St Martin in the Field's Workhouse, buried 10 Aug 1838 aged 76?
According to Robert Snr's bapt record his parents were William Rosser and Jane but I can find no record of their births or marriage and again no other children from the marriage?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Robert or Robert Henry Rosser b 22 Jul 1767 St Martin in the Fields, London
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1794 Will - basically says that Williams wife Cecil(e) and son William to receive one shilling, his friend Richard Humble to receive the rest of his goods and estate.

I'm thinking that his wife and son may have contested the Will as the second document is about proving the validity of the Will.

I can see one marriage but in Amersham, Bucks. which is about 28 miles from London, but possibly something to look at

William Rosser married Jane Bartholomew 22 Dec 1763 Amersham after Banns.

Two other transcriptions of this marriage have William with the middle name 'Robbens' or 'Robbers'

The record from the Buckinghamshire marriage index have him without the middle name.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the research but the Will doesn't help and I can't find a way of seeing the actual transcript of the marriage in Amersham, on Anc it's one of those select marriages but I can't find it on family search?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

The transcripts of the marriage and Bucks. marriage index is on FindMyPast.

Something else too - I have noticed a lot of Rossers in Wales, possibly the family originated there.

There is also a William and Jane Rosser that baptise a William ( March 1766) a Jane ( Jan 1764) and an Elizabeth ( Feb 1759) in
Llanllowell Monmouthshire. Marriage of the parents is possibly this one in Caldicot 1753, given the proximity to Llanllowel.

William Rosser and Jane Howell after banns 13 June 1753.

This family could have travelled to London after the birth of the son William where Robert was born.

All records on FindMyPast

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,
FindMyPast don't actually show the 'actual' transcripts so there is no way of telling if they are even correctly transcribed, they have enough errors on the 1939 as it is?
The Rosser family history is shrouded in the mists of time, all I really know is that my 2x gt grandfather, Robert was bapt 6 Apr 1817 St Anne Soho and b 31 Dec 1815. We believe that his father was also a Robert b c. 1790 bapt 10 Feb 1790 St Giles in the Fields who m Sarah Clarke but don't know when, she was bapt  1797 St Anne Soho. The family's 1st born has always been named Robert since then, so William who was his grandfather is a bit out of step!
They were coach platers, brass moulders and finishers, etc, in the horse and coach trade. I've a colleague who runs Rosser research and a lot of his ancestors are from Wales but as yet we can't link to his ancestors.
It's my belief that ours were Huguenots as a lot of them migrated from Europe to London's Soho area but who knows as the records are very scarce.
Cr

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Another child  :-\
Ann Eleanor Rosser
Baptism 12 July 1795
St Giles in the Fields
Parents Robert & Mary Rosser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Where did you find her, Rosie? I found Robert as before 1790 and then John bapt 19 Jun 1791 St Martin in the Fields. Obviously there were probably more children?
Cr

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry.   ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk