Author Topic: Query about a record  (Read 918 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Query about a record
« on: Tuesday 26 June 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Robert and Frances married in Rearsby, just 'found'  this 'PR' ( FindMyPast) it states James is Robert's father however my research says Robert Chamberlain and second wife Mary Cook are his parents, baptising him in 1823, he was living at home in 1841 with parents Robert/Mary. I can find no records of 'James' baptising a Robert.
Robert/Mary did have a son called James born/bap 4 yrs before Robert ( could he be written as the 'witness' rather than the 'father')

I do not have access to FindMyPast and was wondering if anyone does could they look and tell me if this is this a real record or a transcript

Name   Robert Chamberlain
Event Type    Marriage
Event Date    17 Oct 1842
Event Place    Rearsby, Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom
Residence Place    Rearsby
Father's Name    James Chamberlain
Spouse's Name    Frances Squires
Spouse's Residence Place    Rearsby

Both Robert and Frances state they were born in Rearsby in each census, although I know Frances was born in Birstall Leicestershire however lived/worked in Rearsby her whole adult life.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Query about a record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 21:53 BST (UK) »

Robert? Who?Frances? Who?When?
James? Who?
(Il)legitimate?
Please confirm your starting point and the census refs?
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Details are from image of Parish Register. James is shown as a servant. One of the witnesses is a James Chamberlain.

No details of the bride's father.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Details are from image of Parish Register. James is shown as a servant. One of the witnesses is a James Chamberlain.

No details of the bride's father.

Thank you, really confusing as I extensively researched this ( at Wigston RO) however this was some years ago and without searching goodness knows how many boxes for the copy of their marriage record.... I clearly missed the father being written as 'James' and not Robert.

Now I am asking myself is this a mistake I have made in the lineage or a mistake being written back then ( every other record I have cross references with my research)

John Squires was Frances father, he died some 8 yrs prior to her marriage, maybe why she didn't add him
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
John Squires was Frances father, he died some 8 yrs prior to her marriage, maybe why she didn't add him

There are no fathers entered at all for any of the brides in this section of the register, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:37 BST (UK) »

There are no fathers entered at all for any of the brides in this section of the register, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Thank you for checking, so that answers that one ;D

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
James, Roberts brother was an "indoor servant"