Author Topic: Ideas needed on the name 'Shunpilder' please?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Ideas needed on the name 'Shunpilder' please?
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Looking for any clues/ideas to this anomily?

1st column (bottom entry)…

My interest is only in finding out about this name as I’m working on this line (a new one) & I have a lot of research ahead which I’m enjoying but this is a huge mystery.

Julius Shunpilder Cunningham b 1888 Slamannan, Stirling, Scotland

What I’m wondering/hoping is whether there may have been a slight error on the index i.e. the name ‘SHUNPILDer’ being something a little different to what it looks?

I have checked over the doc for letter comparison & the only thing which looked slightly out was the ‘d’ which I’d thought may have been ‘st’ but looks nothing like the others i.e. has to be a ‘d’.
I have scoured the ‘net’ & can find absolutely nothing in relation to the name/word in any context.

I feel I’m trying to fit square pegs into round holes as the maiden name of Julius’ g/mother was SHAW i.e. been trying to make this fit for the beginning but at a complete loss as to the rest as even at a push (which it is), the 5th letter is not a capital letter & it does look like ‘Shunpilder’!

Any ideas on where the name was derived from would be greatly appreciated!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas needed on the name 'Shunpilder' please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
It does look like Shunpilder, Annie. There's nothing on Google - nearest is Shunpike.

Have you followed the family back or are there maybe any families in the area that might link to the name  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

I found exactly the same i.e. zilch!

Going further back, I'm still working on the parents of Julius & their background but thought I'd throw this in for ideas as it's got me baffled!

I had wondered if it may have had something to do with some sort of employment term, actually any light on it at all  :-\

This is my wee grandson's line, only started last week i.e. early days & exciting  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Ancestry surnames suggest Bilder (?Jewish). 

I was wondering if there were any 'famous' locals/nationals called Julius <something that sounded like Shunpilder> around that time.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1913 Buckhaven wedding to Mary Ward for a possible confirmation of the middle name??

Malky

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
I think this has to be one of the strangest names ever & I've seen many although not my own lines but it does raise a smile, certainly did when I saw it!

This chap went 'AWOL' (story from other g/mother) so this one could be very interesting!

From what I've looked at so far, he doesn't use even the initial 'S' for his middle name on anything, I wonder why  ::)

Annie

Edit to add, Yes Malky, I have the marriage, he also joined the Army (3 yrs Short Service) & doesn't ever use anything apart from Julius!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
His RN was 11886 and declared unfit for duties after 45 days. Ancestry has a few pages about him in their Army records.

Malky

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Malky,

I have all the pages, not had time to read through everything yet but the name is my query only at this time as I've a lot of research still to do as it's a new venture.

The name 'Shunpilder' doesn't appear anywhere else (to my knowledge) from what I've researched to date (well in the last week)  ;)

Annie

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
"I have all the pages, not had time to read through everything yet but the name is my query only at this time as I've a lot of research still to do as it's a new venture."

I will leave it to you then.

Malky