Author Topic: Moore sisters emigrated from Ireland in mid C19. Help!  (Read 646 times)

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore sisters emigrated from Ireland in mid C19. Help!
« on: Friday 06 July 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
In the will of John Moore - dated 1874, he said his daughters: Sarah, Mary & Bridget  were already living in the US. I have no idea when they emigrated or where they settled. Their father married Catherine in Rathfriland, Co Down, in about 1830.
I'm sorry to be so vague, but the only known family member living in Ireland hasn't helped.
Does anyone have these three women in their Tree? or can offer some advice?
Many thanks.
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Moore sisters emigrated from Ireland in mid C19. Help!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us what the birth years may be  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
The Will was actually written 11 Dec.1873.
The Will of John Moore late of Rathfriland County Down Boot and Shoe Maker deceased who died 22 January 1874 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Edward Moore Shoe Maker and James Sheeran Publican both of Rathfriland aforesaid the Executors.

I think Rathfriland comes under Drumgath Parish- in which case the records should cover the period you need- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0447
Once you have mother's maiden name and approx. dates for the daughters it will be easier to search U.S. records for them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Sandra/Aghadowey
Thanks, I meant to say will dated 1873, and John died in Jan 1874.
Therefore probable  that he was born around 1807, and married  a Catherine around 1827/1830.
Communicated with parish priest of Rathfriland who indicated he could not decipher baptism records
for likely period. I also looked at microfiche images at local LDS Centre, and agree they were in poor condition.
I don't know if the daughters traveled together or separately to US. Certainly, they were in US before 1873. Hence I was hoping that perhaps someone has them in their Tree.  ;)
I will try the NLI site as suggested. Might be in better condition than those I'd looked at previously.
Thanks.
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire