Author Topic: Jonathan Potts Victorian Wedding Photograph Protocol  (Read 741 times)

Offline Neill Richard Potts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jonathan Potts Victorian Wedding Photograph Protocol
« on: Friday 06 July 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Could you help me to try and identify who is in this wedding photograph please? The photograph was emailed to me from my cousin in New Zealand.

It was taken in Grimsby in 1883 and the groom is my 3rd great uncle Jonathan Potts and his bride was Sarah Elizabeth Robinson. I believe the best man to the right of the bride (Sarah) is my 3rd great uncle William Potts. The people sat to the left and right are the groom and bride's parents respectively.

What I am trying to work out is regarding to the two gentlemen either side of the photograph in bowler hats. At first I believed they would be family too ... but why bowler hats when the rest are wearing top hats? Is there a class element here and they are not family but maybe ushers?

Does anyone know what the Victorian protocol was for weddings other then the obvious the groom's family were to be on the groom's side and bride's family on her side?

Any help would be  greatly appreciated.

Sorry the photo is a little squashed up ... when I first tried posting it said the file had to be below 900kb and when I cut it down to 900kb it then said it was too big and had to be below 500kb  so I ended up cutting it down again. Sorry.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Potts Victorian Wedding Photograph Protocol
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
The ones I have all appear to stick to that formation.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Potts Victorian Wedding Photograph Protocol
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
The chaps in the bowlers wouldn't be from a different social class. Bowlers were perfectly acceptable headwear for all classes. They're dressed the same so probably as you say they're ushers.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/