Author Topic: were was i born  (Read 3789 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: were was i born
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
This thread is interesting in that my TYPE written birth cert states I was born at the address where my parents lived, with UD typed beneath, except that I am 100% my mother told me I was born at the nearby hospital, unlike my siblings.

What does "UD" represent?

And would type written indicate that the cert was purchased at a later date, in which the info provided may have got confused?

There should be a date on that certificate to say when it was issued.  My birth certificate is typed and was issued on the day my father registered it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
And would type written indicate that the cert was purchased at a later date, in which the info provided may have got confused?
There should be a date on that certificate to say when it was issued.  My birth certificate is typed and was issued on the day my father registered it.

Same here Rosie :)
Mine is the typed document my Dad brought home from the register office.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:47 BST (UK) »

Good point Rosie - thanks......

Mine IS a "true copy", issued a few weeks before my 5th birthday.... perhaps they needed it for me to go to school?

( :-\ I'm still adamant I was told I was a hospital delivery.)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
This thread is interesting in that my TYPE written birth cert states I was born at the address where my parents lived, with UD typed beneath, except that I am 100% my mother told me I was born at the nearby hospital, unlike my siblings.

What does "UD" represent?

Regardless of when  a duplicate certificate is issued it should contain exactly what was on the original registration.

The most likely scenario is that when your birth was first registered, because all your siblings were born at home,  the informant simply made a mistake about your birthplace, the Registrar only knows what the informant  tells them.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »

Regardless of when  a duplicate certificate is issued it should contain exactly what was on the original registration.

The most likely scenario is that when your birth was first registered, because all your siblings were born at home,  the informant simply made a mistake about your birthplace, the Registrar only knows what the informant  tells them.

Quite so Jebber, although I imagine my father was more confused by the questioning than the facts. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
I think - and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong - that UD stands for Urban District.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
I think - and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong - that UD stands for Urban District.

I answered that at reply 17 Lisa  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 July 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
When we came to live here (Cyprus) we had to send away for our full birth certs. as some documentation required MMN. I have just checked these certs.

OH - born hospital in Poplar

I was born in a maternity home in Bloxwich

Certs. confirm what we already knew.

I might add I was the only one born away from home in my maternal and paternal families, all the rest were home births. My father paid a deposit to the home after insisting that my mother have her first child with as much care as possible. He had the deposit returned as I'm an early NHS baby  ;D
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 July 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at my birth certificate. It's a full one and written by hand by the Registrar. My parents gave it me when I left home. It's in really good condition, especially given its age!

My father registered me and I was born at home.

On the top left is a statement  saying:
The Statutory Fee for this Certificate  is 2s. 6d. together with 1d Stamp Duty........

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***