Author Topic: Death/burial of John FRY Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells  (Read 562 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death/burial of John FRY Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 08 July 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for the death/burial of John FRY 1851 - 1861 in Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells or Frant (Sussex).

According to census John was born Speldhurst c.1811, although I think he is most likely the one baptised Speldhurst 5 November 1809. He married Sarah MEPHAM 8 November 1840 in Frant and they had 3 daughters. 

Sarah died 12 July 1851 in Tonbridge (probably in the Infirmary where she was for the 1851 Census) and was buried 20 July in Frant.  Her death was registered by John Fry resident in Tonbridge, which I take to be her husband (although he is described as 'present at the death' rather than 'widower' or 'husband'. The only other John Frys on the 1851 Census for the town are aged 12 and 17, with no apparent connection).

For the 1851 Census John and daughters were living in Tunbridge Wells.  By 1861 the oldest daughter was living with her grandmother (re-married), and the two younger daughters were in Tunbridge Wells workhouse.  John was not in the workhouse, and I cannot find him anywhere else.

The following death registrations for John Fry are the wrong ages for my John:-
MQ 1851 Tunbridge aged 56 (and before the death of wife Sarah)
JQ 1859 Ticehurst aged 79; buried Frant May 1859
SQ 1859 Tunbridge aged 20

Can anyone help me find John or his death/burial please?

I'd be really grateful, thank you.

Melbell

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death/burial of John FRY Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
One for the pot .....

freeREG has a burial for a John FRY 18 May 1855 age 43

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mc0/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death/burial of John FRY Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Bearkat

Many thanks for pointing this out to me.  This person is certainly the 'right' age and I will look into it further, although Smarden is quite a long way away from Tunbridge Wells/Frant and no obvious link on the face of it.

Very grateful for your help and interest,
Melbell

PS  Have now established that this man was born in Smarden and appears there, married, on the 1851 Census.  Not my John, then.

Thanks again,
Melbell