Author Topic: O.S. maps  (Read 1989 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O.S. maps
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
The parcel numbers are often encountered in legal documents, which will sometimes take care to specify which edition of the 1:2500 is being referred to. From 1922 areas were calculated to the map edge only.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
   Thanks Stan, I can see how this information could be useful for legal purposes. And thanks to everyone for your suggestions - it is so good to have all this knowledge to call on!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
When I trained as a solicitor in the early 1990s I did a seat of agricultural property work, and we used these numbers all the time to identify the parcels of land in a conveyance or lease; and the surveyors used them when drawing up "terriers" and such like.

This was in East Anglia, where hardly any of the agricultural land was registered (Norfolk and Suffolk were among the counties which did not become subject to compulsory registration until the "catch all" order was made in, if I recall correctly, 1994)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
Field numbers are also used in land management and for agricultural subsidies too.  In my work I used to create digital maps for conservation management, but when it came to field numbers, we would refer back to the old 'County Series' maps; whilst those maps were out of date, the same field numbers are still used.

This is a nice site for comparison between the old maps and today's aerial imagery. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
   I discovered the NLS site a while ago and I love it. I can spot old chalkpits and footpaths as crop marks in the modern half. Most of our field boundaries and woodlands are pretty much the same in both halves.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
The old parcel numbers were specific to each parish whereas the system which replaced them is based on the National Grid, so every field now has a unique number to avoid any possible confusion. The current system locates a point approximately in the centre of the field.

I think the system changed after WW2, but I'm open to correction on that  :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Work on the National Grid 1:2500 plans started in 1948. As you say parcels were denoted by the grid reference to the nearest 10 metres of the centres of the parcels giving each parcel a unique number within each 1:2500 plan. See https://maps.nls.uk/view/103029165#zoom=3&lat=6079&lon=3951&layers=BT

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk