Author Topic: Anna Sarah EWING birth record 1885  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Anna Sarah EWING birth record 1885
« on: Monday 09 July 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have zero experience of Irish research but have come across Anna Sarah EWING (my b-l's GGM) who was born in 1885 in Sligo according to Familysearch.

I checked this on the www.irishgenealogy.ie site and sure enough, she's there, but it says "Mother's Birth Surname N/R". Does this mean it won't give me any information about her mother? What about her father? I know about her life after her marriage to Thomas JACOB in 1905 and her descendants in England but would like to try a bit of Irish research and seem to have fallen at the first hurdle (well, second, as I did get Thomas' family back a couple of generations  ;D ).

If it is worth me getting a copy of the birth / marriage records would I be right in thinking that the site I've referred to above is the best way to do it - although there doesn't seem to be an online option?

Thank you very much,

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Sarah EWING birth record 1885
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
you need to look at the image to see the details - the records are not transcribed, and the index does not include mother's maiden surname for the 1880s

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/dce4df9899153

parents are Thomas Ewing and Margaret Wippen

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
On Irish registrations on a******y there is this marriage
Anna Sarah Ewing
Samuel Matthew Jacob
marriage reg Jun qtr 1905 Sligo

?????

Where did you find a marriage to Thomas Jacob?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
that marriage is on IrishGenealogy - father's name and occupation match the birth..

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2d8e6a2045218

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies!

Of course - I am so sorry - Thomas is Samuel Matthew JACOB's father - Anna never married him but I had the wrong page of my notes open  ::)

:o I never saw the "image" thing at the bottom!!  Oh dear ... so much information at the click of a button - what an idiot I am :-[

I am very grateful for all the help ... perhaps Ireland isn't quite as scary after all!  8)

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
IrishGenealogy currently has free register images for all civil births between the start of registration in 1864 up to near the '100 year' cut-off, also many of the marriage (1870 to 1941) and death (1878 to 1966) images - check the info page for details

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Photocopies of those not yet transcribed (some early ones) can be ordered for 4 euro each using this form.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/images/content/GRO_Documents/Form_for_DAHG_site.pdf

They can send them back to you by email. Quite a quick service.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
in case you hadn't seen - Anna's father Thomas died in 1896

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/4037e34113771

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Just search by Surname...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.