Author Topic: brick wall with Catherine McArthur  (Read 6044 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: brick wall with Catherine McArthur
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 19 July 18 01:52 BST (UK) »
The first witness called was Mary DONNELLY, widow of the deceased, to whom, she said, she had been married in 1860.  They resided at Weetangara.   For the past five years or less her husband had been an old-age pensioner; before that he was a labourer.  He was 69 ... last birthday, ... born Parramatta ..
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/31379192 Queanbeyan Age 21 April 1911.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 19 July 18 01:57 BST (UK) »

Your words -

"..Mary Makin is also a brick wall because her death is a complete mystery to me she must have died in Burrowa …"

Albert George is your link to his mother, and her origins.  Albert's marriage record is important to your research. It will name his parents and indicate if they are deceased at 1889. It will name witnesses, and they might be family.

You need continuity in your research...…...connecting generations.

What marriage certificates do you have...…..accessible right now.  Are you using information given to you conversationally by others, about the details on the certificates?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 19 July 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
The 1911 death registration at Queanbeyan has parents as William T and Margaret.  You need to confirm that information as it is informant driven, NSW BDM does not and did not validate the information provided to them.  You need Albert's marriage cert to confirm who he gave as his parents, and then to work back from there.   Newspaper cuttings are very helpful in supporting/validating info, but there are official records to seek out. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
I continue to think there's two or more chaps named Christopher DONNELLY in rural/regional NSW in the 1870s ... which takes me to the NSW BDM online index, marriage 1867, Queanbeyan, Mary MCDONALD and Christopher DONNELLY...  #2932.   Without ALL the info available from the parish register re the bride and the groom and their parents it is simply NOT possible to consider that Christopher is the same chap who married Mary MAKIN...

I don't see how it can be considered a bigamous marriage.

Re Mary MAKIN marrying twice .... and then having a child by her first husband several years after her second marriage....

Sorry, but dots are not joining up for me.   It is of course up to you to set your own standards of proof for your own research.

JM

Offline sharonsteinberg47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage of catherine and James Makin. We all know that they married in 1867 what people say is not what they actually mean. in 1860 he was not married at all. he stated on the marriage cert to mary makin his parents william T, donnelly and margaret murphy. That came from the certificate sent to me by David who sent it to me.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:10 BST (UK) »
his death states christopher donnelly as his father....I am pretty sure that is what he said to people why would they make it up.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:44 BST (UK) »
his death states christopher donnelly as his father....I am pretty sure that is what he said to people why would they make it up.

But which Christopher DONNELLY ... there's at least two likely chaps by that name,in rural NSW in the 1870s.  The two I can see were both married in NSW, and both were married to lasses with that very popular first name of Mary.   Without sighting the parish registers for those two marriages, and obtaining the first hand info recorded there from both the bride and the groom it is simply not possible to determine that the two chaps named Christopher were one and the same person.  The NSW BDM records are not sufficient UNLESS they have been reconciled.  NSW BDM website confirms this.

JM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:57 BST (UK) »
you must have a completely different index to me because I can only find one..Donnelly and Donelly both the same person

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 19 July 18 03:00 BST (UK) »

If I am correctly reading the story.....these are the first, and second (bigamous) marriages for your Mary MAKIN?

2052/1864  MAKIN Mary m. DONELLY Christopher   @ Goulburn

3802/1870 DONELLY Mary  m.  WOOD Martin   @  MARY    @  Yass

"..Elizabeth and her husband John Moore were also witnesses to Mary Donnellys marriage to Martin Wood in 1870.

If Mary was to have a second bigamous marriage, and only a few years after the first, I wonder that she would stay in the same area.....Goulburn...Yass. And that close family members would agree to be complicit in this illegal marriage?.