Author Topic: How do you find a final resting place?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do you find a final resting place?
« on: Thursday 19 July 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to locate the graves of two of my relatives but it's got me wondering in general terms as well.

Albert Woodger died on the 11th April 1959 and lived in Brunton Park, Gosforth.
Edwin Woodger died on the 14th of December 1943 and lived in Kenton.

I'd like to go and pay my respects but have no idea if they were buried or cremated and where they are now, although I'm assuming Newcastle somewhere.

Where do I start?

I'm guessing a newspaper search may come up with a family notice announcing the funeral and I've tried contacting the bereavement staff but there is a cost involved so is there another way?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find a final resting place?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Because of the dates you mention, the burials/cremations are likely to have been in municipal cemeteries and Bereavement Services is usually the first port of call as they generally hold the records.

As you have found though, our hobby can have a detrimental effect on their work-load so many do charge for look ups.

On the whole, final resting places can be influenced by the last address or religious persuasion so check the nearest and work from there.

Is there anyone in the family who can offer suggestions?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing a newspaper search may come up with a family notice announcing the funeral

Newcastle Evening Chronicle death announcements are often an excellent source of information. On microfilm at Newcastle City Library Local,Studies dept.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Because of the dates you mention, the burials/cremations are likely to have been in municipal cemeteries and Bereavement Services is usually the first port of call as they generally hold the records.

As you have found though, our hobby can have a detrimental effect on their work-load so many do charge for look ups.

It varies so much, in the last week or so I have sent emails to 3 cemeteries depts about half a dozen burials, each time giving name, date of death, address at time of death and the responses have varied wildly

1 Emailed a cemetery in Delaware about a burial in 1912 - was utterly gobsmacked to get a reply , complete with cemetery map, telling me the section and plot number within TWO MINUTES. No charge, just a lovely reply saying they were pleased to be able to help. I emailed right back to express my thanks and delight for their help

2 Emailed the cemeteries dept in Edinburgh (repeatedly) each time I got section, plot number and a map with the correct area marked. Lovely lady who was so helpful and pleasant and couldn't help enough - no charge - I  emailed back to express my heartfelt thanks.

3 emailed North Tyneside Cemeteries about two burials, got a reply within the hour which said they would be happy to look for me, at a charge of £10 per person, payable in advance. I haven't replied, its not the fault of the person who told me the charge, probably not even the fault of the local council who feel they need to make the charge but its way outside my budget and I just can't think of a suitable reply.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll have a look in the papers and see if a walk around the local cemeteries turns anything up.

Boo I think your right, I think the staff's hands are tied to a degree and there is variance between council areas as well.

Thanks again,

Michael

Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll have a look in the papers and see if a walk around the local cemeteries turns anything up.

If you find anything useful in the Chronicle your next step could be to check the relevant cemetery registers as these will give you the exact section and plot numbers.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks JenB,

I know North Shields has the ones for Preston but do you know if the Newcastle registers are in Newcastle library?

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

This is something I could help you with at some point over the next two weeks.  I know that it can be difficult for you with work hours and all the work you put in with the scouts.

I think the easiest way to find things out will be to find a possible death notice in the Evening Chronicle on microfilm at the Newcastle library to find out where they were buried/cremated.  Newcastle library also has a lot of burial register records on microfilm. 

Jen is right that burial registers will most likely give plot and grave number which will make it so much easier to find the grave.

If you do go yourself before I can go there for you try to go either after opening or in the evening or you may find all the microfilm are already taken. 

Unlike the Cemetery offices my cost is FREE. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks JenB,

I know North Shields has the ones for Preston but do you know if the Newcastle registers are in Newcastle library?

Michael

It would depend on which cemetery you found them in.

I’m afraid I don’t know offhand which ones are available the best thing to do would be to contact the Local Studies at the library. They are most helpful.

If not available at the library then they would probably be at Tyne & Wear Archives.

On my iPad at the moment and can’t do links. Google Tyne & Wear Archives User Guides, then select Cemeteries and Crematoria under ‘other local authority records’