Author Topic: Unsourced Ancestry Trees  (Read 6368 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Unsourced Ancestry Trees
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
"I fail to understand how people expect to be taken seriously  ....."

I fail to understand why there are literally hundreds of posts on this same topic.  It has been beaten to death over and over again, always with the same conclusion  -  don't trust unsourced online trees.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am not banging on about Ancestry per se, they simply provide the platform and I don't have any complaints against them.

I just cannot understand how people can add two facts to the same person - one stating that he died in 1763 and the other stating that he made a will dated 1766.  Do they never review their trees?  The software I use would tell me that I had two conflicting facts like this.

I don't ever use Ancestry hints without checking their veracity first which is why I was searching for the sources of these documents, initially within the 11 trees that contained the information.

Pheno

Anyway I have calmed down now!
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
I have to admit that I find it odd when for example I find someone born in 1700 in Co Durham was said to be baptised in London as a baby, a good 250 miles away. Their so called source is a baptism from the London records. But again, it may have been an Ancestry hint and the tree owner just took it as gospel due to the same name and age group, which is very foolish to do. That is as bad as finding an entry on the IGI/Anc etc, that fits and then deciding it is the right one as it is the only one that fits.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
I have to admit that I find it odd when for example I find someone born in 1700 in Co Durham was said to be baptised in London as a baby, a good 250 miles away. Their so called source is a baptism from the London records. But again, it may have been an Ancestry hint and the tree owner just took it as gospel due to the same name and age group, which is very foolish to do. That is as bad as finding an entry on the IGI/Anc etc, that fits and then deciding it is the right one as it is the only one that fits.

I had to smile at this  ;D my Great Great Grandfather married his wife in Co Durham and when looking at the census her birth place was down as London Middlesex........ Oh I thought it must be an error and I continued to look as the two pre marriage census stated her parents where born in country/Co Durham her out of county/London and  they all lived in Co Durham with as far as I knew no reason or connection to London, her dad was an Agr Labourer so unlikely he was working in London, no sisters of her mother married a Londoner, so not visiting familu, so I ignored it for years.
10 or 15 yrs after I started I actually found the baptism in St John Hackney London and was still not convinced researching from the bap as I was convinced it was another of the same name with the same parents names living in London.......... and then as the internet began and the trees of unrelated name collections and I have seen my great great grandmothers baptism  infilled into other London families, her being given different parents, marrying some man and having children and at first I doubted myself and looked at the trees of unrelated names, none which stood up to research, so early on I realised copy and paste was the new way and out with  researched cited and proved
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 18 03:06 BST (UK) »
I sometimes think it would be fun to create a very sloppy inaccurate tree, with a totally fictional family, and fictional photos, comments, stories etc, and noting lots of very odd creative sources!   Then sit back and watch the fun!  If someone copies or contacts me (about this fictional tree)  ;D ;D ;D I'll just reply with some even more bizarre comments and photos! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 July 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
 :)  Do you want some ideas for said totally fictional family ....  :) 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/08/so-many-australians-are-claiming-jedi-as-their-religion-that-its-becoming-a-problem/ 

ADD
My husband suggests if such a tree is to be developed, it includes individuals like the tooth fairy, St Nick, Old Mother Hubbard,  Little Miss Muffat .... etc

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 July 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
You might have something there majm!   ;D ;D ;D!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
 Findmypast has an " O M Hubbard"...

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 July 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Findmypast has an " O M Hubbard"...

;D ;D

There is this birth as well  :D

Births Sep 1883   
COLE    King        Wortley    9c   225

Plus quite a few Jack Horners.

Probably would be quite easy to construct a nursery rhyme tree.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk