Author Topic: The Crown and Cannon, Gateshead Fell.  (Read 1202 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Crown and Cannon, Gateshead Fell.
« on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please
Im looking for any information or descriptions of the Crown and Cannon Inn at Gateshead Fell Co Durham around 1780
Thanks in advance
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown and Cannon, Gateshead Fell.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant, 26 Jan 1872

A DISCOVERY of more of the SAME GANG
"THOMAS DOUGLAS, and his wife, JOHN DOUGLAS his brother, and ELEANOR his wife, and DAVID, their eldest son, aged about 15 years, and the noted THOMAS COLPITTS, otherwise STUART, and his wife, who have all lately resided or lodged, at or about the Head of Gateshead, and on Gateshead Fell; other part of the Gang reside at or near Bishop Auckland, they often change their names and frequently rendezvous at the Crown and Cannon, Gateshead Fell, and have a Ware Room for their stolen Goods, at or near the head of Gateshead, and another on the Fell";

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi hanes teulu
Thanks for your reply
I have already found that article, but thanks for your help
Im trying to get a better picture of the inn and the goings on there
My 5G Grandmother was one of the gang mentioned

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Hiyamarra,

I expect you have seen this exerpt from Wikipedia -- but it does mention the criminal activity in that area - it seems to have been notorious --- the Crown and Cannon also gets a mention in connection with the 'gang'.

In 1770, Robert Hazlett, a highwayman, was convicted of committing two acts of highway robbery in the same night. In the first instance, he attempted to steal a watch and coins from a lady named Miss Benson. After succeeding in obtaining from the woman her coin purse, Hazlett continued along the turnpike and encountered a postman, who, despite having been forewarned by Miss Benson, was 'lured into a trap' and robbed. Hazlett was tried within one week of his arrest at the Newcastle Assizes and was convicted. He was sentenced to hang until dead. His remains were hung on chains near a pond on the Fell as a warning to other potential, would-be criminals. That pond, named Hazlett’s Pond in dubious honour of the highwayman, has since been drained and enclosed.[20]

The Fell was also reportedly the home of minor criminal gangs.[21] Local press reports referred often to the actions of a notorious family in the name of Clark and the actions and impact of the so-called Gateshead Fell-Bishop Auckland Gang have been scrutinised.[22] However, the gang had ‘a tenuous identity’ and, despite "many arrests, few serious crimes were confirmed in court".[23] It is true, however, that Walter Clark and his wife, Jane Trotter, lived on the Fell and a number of pickpockets arrested around 1780 were associated with that house.[24] The Newcastle Chronicle reported in 1786 that one of the gang, Francis Russell, was ‘whipped around the Sandhill’.[25] A number of other individuals were pursued for other minor acts of criminality, such as stealing geese or killing sheep.[26] These incidents gained something of a local reputation for individuals such as Thomas Colpits, who was arrested on several occasions and found himself reported in the local press.[26]

The modus operandi of these ‘gangs’ was that “they often changed their names and frequently rendezvous at the Crown and the Cannon at Gateshead Fell and had ware rooms for their stolen goods...”[27] It seems likely that these acts were the sporadic acts of associated ‘tinkers’ rather than an organised gang of criminals: ‘there was no evidence of definite ringleaders or organisation’.[28]

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks again
Yes I have read that, it's extracted from a wonderful book, "Rogues thieves and the rule of law"
All these little titbits add up to give a better insight
I believe the Inn was built in 1780 and survived until around 1905 when it was rebuilt
For your interest, my 5G Gran was a member of the "gang of faws"
The Inn keeper was a lady known as "Gleed Bet"

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
I thought you would have seen it -- but posted it 'just in case'.

What a very interesting ancestor! You will have to do one of your wonderful stories about her!
Places of interest;

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
She’s very interesting, and a huge story to uncover
Do we know each other ?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Yes we do -- but only from exchanging family history information and the fact that you were writing a story about your family --- at the same time I was about to undertake an on-line course on 'How to write your family history'!

You sent me your story and I thought it was brilliant -- long time no 'speak'.

The ancestor you have now discovered is 'ripe' for adding to your portfolio!!

Best Regards

June
Places of interest;

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Well,hello June
Lovely to hear from you
Believe it or not I’m still on the same story
I started writing about my whole tree but found one group so interesting I concentrated my research on them. But within that family group I’ve become fascinated with one person and am writing a book about her now