Author Topic: Victoria Birth - John MARSDEN  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Birth - John MARSDEN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 July 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
The document at #5 shows date of birth as 3 Sept 88. So the person who committed those crimes does look to have been very young.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline berniphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 July 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennaya,
Yes very young to be in trouble, but today i was asked where did i get his birthdate from i had forgotten to check the NSW state records criminal records advice i had asked for last year. His Birth-date is listed on his Long Bay entry as 3rd of SEPTEMBER 1888.
He had 6 convictions in Perth WA 1902-1909. And 18 months at Long Bay NSW. I had known he did time at Long Bay but not the WA sentences which totaled to over a year.
Best Regards,
Phil.

Offline berniphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe & Cando,
Thank you very much for all your ideas and research you guys, I made a mistake about date of birth i had asked for copy of his Long Bay entry from NSW State records, its on this document the date of birth is said to be SEPTEMBER 3rd 1888. I had not known about the Perth WA imprisonment until i received that document last year. Its a big mystery where he was born and why he was in WA. Maybe as you said Cando he might have been illegitimate.

Offline berniphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
Sorry did not answer your questions yet, death cert says in column about how long been in Australasia or States :- Melbourne Victoria.
Info on marriage cert Birthplace:- South Melbourne. Father:- John MARSDEN deceased.
Mother:- Mary FLANAGAN. his place of residence Kensington Sydney.
Regards,
Phil.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all information on the marriage certificate, 1919.

This from the prison document at reply #5 for John MARSDEN, offences committed in WA -

13 Oct 1902  Disorderly conduct            1 month
                    Idle and disorderly            6 months

18 Aug 1903  Obscene language            ???
                     Assault                           6 months

11 Jan 1909    Assault fellow prisoner    14 days

25 Jan 1909    False pretences               17 months

Given that there are dates, and descriptions for the offences, and significant sentences you might think to find mention of John MARSDEN in WA using Trove for newspaper articles.

There is no suggestion that he uses an alias.  I cannot see anything in the papers for John MARSDEN and these offences.

Offline berniphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
Thanks for your followup on this one, The 6th of December 1919 NSW marriage lists John MARSDEN bachelor & Edna Florence DEAKIN spinster. His birth-place South Melbourne Victoria her birth-place Quorn, South Australia. Business Agent for him Domestic duties for her. Ages 30 for him 18 for her. Place of residence both Kensington Sydney NSW Parents:- Fathers name John MARSDEN (deceased) Her Father :-Harry DEAKIN (deceased) Mothers Maiden Name His:-Mary FLANAGAN. hers:-Florence Maude PRIDEAUX. Fathers profession Hotel Keeper for him Engine Driver for her. Married at the Parsonage, Newcombe  St. Methodist Church Paddington Sydney. With consent of the mother of the bride Florence Maude DEAKIN. Received & Registered on the 10th day of December 1919.