Author Topic: James Hubbard  (Read 597 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Hubbard
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone here might be able to help me located a possible christening for my ancestor James Hudson.

James was married twice, both times in Godmersham.

He first married Catherine West in Godmersham on 21 Nov 1732 but she died in December 1733 [burial 17 December 1733 Godmershm].

After Catherine had died James married Susanna Lands [of Godmersham] on 29 August 1734 in Boughton Aluph.

Together James and Susanna had six children:

James Hubbard - christened 23 May 1735 Godmersham
Thomas Hubbard - christened 5 December 1736 - Buried 19 December 1736 both in Godmersham
John Hubbard - christened 10 September 1738 Godmersham
Thomas Hubbard - christened 3 May 1741Godmersham
Mary Hubbard - christened 11 February 1742/43 Godmersham
Ann Hubbard - christened 23 May 1747 Godmersham - married Edward Homewood in 1778 in Wye.

Catherine West was christened on 24 September 1710 in Godmersham, but as I said she died in 1733.

Susanna Lands was christened in Godmersham on 22 November 1709 and was the daughter of Thomas Lands and Mary [Chapman] who were married in 1703.

Given that James' first marriage was in 1732 and the second was in 1734 I estimate he was born [possibly] in the 1690s or early 1700s. Unfortunately so far I have not been able to find any possible candidate for him.

Is anyone able to suggest a possible candidate for James?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: James Hubbard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hubbard or Hudson?

Subject: 

I am hoping someone here might be able to help me located a possible christening for my ancestor James Hudson.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hubbard or Hudson?

Subject: 

Sorry that was a typo. His name is James Hubbard.

I have found two possible candidates this evening. There is a christening there for a James Hubbard [son of James] christened in Smeeth in 1708 [6 miles away], and there is also a James Hubbard [son of Thomas and Frances] christened in Selling in 1711 [3 miles away].

I think the christening in Selling is more likely as it looks like the James who was christened in Smeeth was buried in 1709.

Matt

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
There was a James baptised in Smeeth, 10 miles from Godmersham, on 29th August 1708, son of James. Also. James Hobart in Selling, 6 miles from Godmersham, on 8th May 1711, son of Thomas.

My wife is descended from Jemima Hubbard, born in Crundale in 1819, daughter of Thomas Hubbard, probably born in Wye in 1793. He may be the son of Seth Hubbard, born c1767. Two of Seth's children, Sarah and Seth, were born in Godmersham.

Seth may be the son of John Hubbard and Lydia May, baptised in Eastwell in 1767, or William and Ann, baptised in Eastling on 8th December 1765.

I don't know if they are related to the earlier Hubbards of Godmersham.

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
There was a James baptised in Smeeth, 10 miles from Godmersham, on 29th August 1708, son of James. Also. James Hobart in Selling, 6 miles from Godmersham, on 8th May 1711, son of Thomas.

My wife is descended from Jemima Hubbard, born in Crundale in 1819, daughter of Thomas Hubbard, probably born in Wye in 1793. He may be the son of Seth Hubbard, born c1767. Two of Seth's children, Sarah and Seth, were born in Godmersham.

Seth may be the son of John Hubbard and Lydia May, baptised in Eastwell in 1767, or William and Ann, baptised in Eastling on 8th December 1765.

I don't know if they are related to the earlier Hubbards of Godmersham.

David

Hi David

I think the one in Selling may be mine.  It looks like the James christened in Smeeth was buried the following year.

Given that Selling is closer to Godmersham it does seem a more likely option.

Matt