Author Topic: James Pickersgill/Johnson  (Read 574 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Pickersgill/Johnson
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 00:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure where this post should go, and it might be a bit long winded.

A local historian, Mike Covell, wrote an article for the Hull Daily Mail entitled "The man who murdered himself"
This article turned out to be about one of my ancestors, all the information provided is available on the internet.

James Pickersgill was born in Hull 1829 the son of John & Mary Pickersgill nee White.

26/6/1846 he enlisted at Halifax in the 69th Regiment of Foot under the name of James Johnson as a private #2632

The 69th where stationed on Malta from 1847 -1851, but James Johnson was discharged on Malta on 13/5/1850 having been found "unfit for further service" after having been twice court martialed.

1851 Census he is back home with his family in Hull giving his occupation as "sloopman"

1853 He enlisted in the 88th Regiment of Foot for the duration of the campaign in the Crimea, after which the Regiment returned to Ireland.

In the latter part of 1856 and early 1857 he gained coverage in newspapers across the land when he gave himself up to the authorities and admitted murdering a man called James Pickersgill in Hull on 15/10/1856.

After investigation by the police in Hull his story was proved to be false with information provided by his brother in law, William Cooper Gee (the husband of James' sister Sarah Ann, my 2xgt grandmother).

A few months after his trial his Regiment embarked in July 1857 for Calcutta in response to the Indian Mutiny.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can trace what happened to him next, though what name he was using doesn't make things any easier, and I've no idea why he changed his name in the first place.

Thank you for taking the time to read

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Pickersgill/Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »

I found the following and wonder whether this could be your James:

England and Wales Crime, Prisons and Punishment -  Prison Registers

James Pickersgill

Date of Reception 21.5.80  From York Prison
Date of Discharge  16.11.80 
Whither:   Millbank

Remarks:

Burglary     7 yr.  P.S.
C. of E.       Bricklayer

-------------------------

James Pickergill

Date of Reception: 22.7.85
From What Prison:   Chatham
Date of Discharge:  24.9.85
Whither:  Millbank for discharge

Remarks:  See back 21.5

----------------------------

I found the above via Find My Past.

I found two photographs of James Pickergill  (1880 and 1885) among the Photograph Albums of Prisoners  (Source: Pentonville Prison Middlesex) which are also on the Find My Past website.

N.B. I have not attached these as I didn't know whether the moderators would allow me to.

Winslass

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 18 16:34 BST (UK) »

I stated James' surname a couple of times as Pickergill - apologies, it should have read Pickersgill.

Winslass

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Winslass

I honestly don't know if the information that you have found refers to my ancestor or not. Unfortunately the name is quite common in Yorkshire

His trial was early 1857, I assume in Ireland,  after which I have found no trace of him.  I cannot find the result of a trial, whether he stayed in the Regiment or whether he kept the surname of Johnson or reverted back to his birth surname of Pickersgill.

I shall look at Findmypast and see if I can make any connection

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Ok  Bee - Good luck!

Winslass