Author Topic: Who knows this young girl  (Read 1318 times)

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who knows this young girl
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
This photo of a young girl was taken in about the 1920s.  She's probably deceased now, but she may have children or grandchildren who are still alive.  Does anyone recognise her?
Hyland, Casey and Tyrrell (Meath and Westmeath, Ireland)

Kelly and Casey (Dublin, Ireland)

Kearney/Carney/Carnie (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire Scotland), Porteous (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire, Scotland)

Whitehead (London, Middlesex, England),

Awege (Prussia), Martin (Dover, Cornwall, England),

Stuart (Derbyshire, England),

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who knows this young girl
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
I don't know the answer unfortunately.

However, it might be helpful if you could provide more information for RootsChatters.  Such as where did you find this photo?  Do you know where it was taken, etc. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass, you're absolutely right; I should have offered more information. 

The photo was in my grandmother's collection.  She died in 1955, so I wasn't able to ask her for any details.  What I do know is that she was born Marie Stuart in Derbyshire UK, and moved to Australia in 1923.  Her mother married a Hiram Heaps (after her birth) so it could have been one of her step uncles perhaps.

In any event, the photo was from England, and so it was probably from Derbyshire or the surrounding counties. 

Regards

Steve H

Kearney/Carney/Carnie (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire Scotland), Porteous (Fermanagh/Donegal, Ireland, Renfrewshire, Scotland)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
This photo of a young girl was taken in about the 1920s.  She's probably deceased now, but she may have children or grandchildren who are still alive.  Does anyone recognise her?

Hi Steve,

This doesn’t add up with your latest post.
There is a published tree - yours by named which has Marie born 1906 and emigrating 1923. Therefore the photo can’t be taken 1920s.
Do you mean that grandma was Marie Stuart?
Would the child be born in UK or Australia?
Regards
Heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevehyland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Heywood, your inference is correct - my grandmother was Marie Stuart. 

I don't know when the photo was taken - but it was taken in the UK.  I'm assuming it was either the 1920s before my grandmother left the country, or was mailed to her as a reminder of home in her first few years in Australia.

Regards

Steve

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks. After I wrote my message, I realised that I had misunderstood.
It wasn’t very clear (to me anyway  :))

So, perhaps the child lived around Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire?
I am not good at dating photos but it looks later to me.

I hope someone can help you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
I am not good at dating photos but it looks later to me.

It does to me too, quite a bit later.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Is that the entire photograph? (Or did you crop it from a larger photo?) if so, could we see the entire photo please? You might find that others might request to see the edges and the back of the photo as there may also be dating clues there.

My first thought was 1950s, but with so little to go on I am not confident about that guesstimate.

Keep in mind that if your grandmother emigrated to Australia, she could have been sent photographs of more distant relatives, even children of her friends etc. Apart from curiosity, is there any other reason you want to identify the child?

It might be useful to put the photograph in context. For example, was this photograph among many others or do you suspect it was special in some way? For example we had a request some time ago where someone had found a photograph seemingly hidden behind another in a frame, which obviously aroused suspicion.  ;)

I think it highly unlikely that someone will be able to identify the child based on that image alone. Maybe some detective work might find her though. Starting close to home, do you know all of your great grandmother, and grandmother's children? Might this one have died young? Or been illegitimate?

I think the first thing would be to get an accurate date range for when the photo was taken. Are there any other photos within the collection which may have been taken on the same day, people wearing the same clothes for example, child included in another photo with identifiable people?

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
I too thought it looked totally 1950s. Children without strong background clues, or accompanying adults seem to be almost impossible to date / identify, I've found. Hope you manage to satisfy your curiosity.... good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)