Author Topic: Sharp family of Armley  (Read 1140 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sharp family of Armley
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to fill in gaps in the history of the Sharps of Armley for a distant relation who lives abroad and who, like me, can't visit the local archives.  Can anyone help?

Elizabeth Mears was born in Northamptonshire in 1781. We know she married a man called Sharp, as she was a beneficiary of her father's will, proved 1839.  I've found her in the 1851 census, at Winker Green in Armley.  Her nephew Nathan Mears was staying with her. She must be the woman of the right age living at Winker Green in 1841.

Her father died at Armley and having, I assume, moved to live with her. His will was witnessed by a John Whitaker and his death certificate registered by a James Sharp. Men of these names lived next door and two doors along from Elizabeth in 1841. From James's age, I think he might have been her brother-in-law.

An EM married a Nathan Sharp in 1806 at Newcastle by licence. Nathan was a clothier of Leeds; Elizabeth had lived the requisite time in the parish to claim residence. An image of the marriage is not available online, but the marriage allegation is; the co-signatory was Samuel Haywood, clothier, also of Leeds.  It seems too much of a co-incidence not to be the couple I'm looking for, but...

I have no idea what either party was doing in Newcastle.  Nor can I find any children of the marriage.  I know a Nathan Sharp was living in Armley in 1826 (from a directory) and that one was buried at Armley in 1836 and left a will, which I haven't seen.  This last would have been about 12 years older than Elizabeth.

I'd like to find out whether EM's husband was Nathan Sharp and if they had any children.  I'd be very grateful indeed for any help or pointers.

Many thanks
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp family of Armley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
According to A******y, there is a Nathan Sharp baptised at Armley St Bartholomew 25 Dec 1768, father Nathan.  This fits in with age gap.
Also James Sharp baptised Armley St Bart’s 10 Mar 1773, father Nathan.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
That does sound promising!

Many thanks indeed.

Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
It still doesn’t help with why they were in Newcastle, though, 🤔

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
True. I'm not sure that mystery will ever be solved, though I have a message out on the Northumberland Rootschat board, too.

I should say that two of Elizabeth's brothers did migrate up to the north-east and another to York.  One was in Darlington by 1815.  Perhaps there was an earlier Mears presence there.

And there have been other mysteries. I'm glad they're not my own ancestors!
Joyce

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
A Nathan Sharp b abt1815, a weaver, died September 1871 and is buried in Upper and Lower Wortley Cemetery. He's buried with an Elizabeth Whitaker b Abt1876 d1878, Annie Gill b 1904 d1907 and Ann/Mary Sharp (nee Whitaker) b abt1819 d1881.

Don't know if this helps.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
According to A******y, there is a Nathan Sharp baptised at Armley St Bartholomew 25 Dec 1768, father Nathan.  This fits in with age gap.
Also James Sharp baptised Armley St Bart’s 10 Mar 1773, father Nathan.
That Nathan is probably the one buried in St Barthomlew in 1828 aged 92 so born c1736.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
I'm unfamiliar with the geography of Leeds, so I've had to take a look at the maps.  It's worth checking out. 

One of my problems has been locating children of the Sharp marriage.  I've assumed that if there were any, there'd be a Nathan and Elizabeth.  I've found no Nathan, son of Nathan, in Armley in the period from 1806, so I need to spread the net a bit wider. 

Many thanks.  I'll report back in due course.
Joyce

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
St Barts Armley and Wortley are about 1/2 mile apart in West Leeds.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire