Author Topic: Returning a family bible to it's rightful owner...  (Read 1308 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Returning a family bible to it's rightful owner...
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am after some advice on returning a family bible to its rightful owner.

I bought the bible in a charity shop in Basingstoke (Hants) in 2012 as it had an inscription in the front, from mother to daughter, from 1895. She was an only child and had no siblings, and the mother appears to have died when she was young so she grew up with a relation in Yorkshire. I have traced the daughter who was born in 1886 in Liverpool and who went on to marry and have two children, A and B, before dying in Nottingham in 1958.

A was a daughter who married a chap with a common surname and although I have identified two children C and D (from the GRO birth indexes) born in the 1940s, it's difficult to trace them later through the indexes/on electoral rolls due to their common names.

B was a son who went on to marry and have two children, E and F. B was living in Hook, about 5 miles from Basingstoke, when he died in 2010. I have found both of them on electoral registers. E is married and living about 5 miles from Basingstoke, and F is married and living about 10 miles from Basingstoke.

As I bought the bible in a charity shop in Basingstoke I wonder whether it ended up in the charity shop when B died - perhaps in a house clearance/other circumstances? I am wondering what to do and who to contact to offer the Bible. Perhaps I'm reading into it too much and should just contact E or F to see if they're interested. What would you do?

Thanks for reading,
Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Returning a family bible to it's rightful owner...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Its people like you xx that make this game worthwhile.

Thank you for not immediately putting it on EBAY or similar.

I am sure with some more information the wonderful world of Rootschatters will help.

xin

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
As you know their addresses I'd write a good old-fashioned letter to them both telling them the background & asking if they would like it. If you don't get a response then you can dispose of it.
I'd also mention you're interested in FH & that's why you decided to trace the family.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
If you don't get a response then you can dispose of it.
Pat

Not sure I understand this.  Surely someone already made the decision to dispose of it, that's how it got to the charity shop.  And the previous or original owner must have been a family member in the first place, maybe even the same one who's been identified.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
If you don't get a response then you can dispose of it.
Pat

Not sure I understand this.  Surely someone already made the decision to dispose of it, that's how it got to the charity shop.  And the previous or original owner must have been a family member in the first place, maybe even the same one who's been identified.

Sorry John I didn't word that very well, I just meant if the remaining family don't want it the OP will have to decide what to do with it. I agree it seems a family member must have put it in the charity shop but we don't know the background. My mother got rid of a lot of her mother-in-law's stuff when I was younger which now I wish she had kept, this might be a similar case :)
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Just because the Bible was disposed by one possible family member it doesn't mean another wouldn't like to have it.

During a casual search of the web I came across a family Bible in an antiquarian book shop in Wales, how it got  from my family in Hampshire to Wales  I have no idea.  The seller was asking quite a lot for it and the postage was not cheap, although it had not belonged to my direct ancestors,  I would have willingly paid  what ever was asked to have it back in the family.

As it was, I tracked down two of their descendants who were delighted to have the chance to get it back, so they bought it and sent me a copy of all the family information in the Bible.

Hence I would always try and give someone the chance to recover a family possession, they can always say no if they are not interested.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, all, for your thoughts. I’ve written to her and fingers crossed I’ll get a response if it wasn’t her who discarded the bible in the first place!

If she doesn’t, I’ll try one of the other descendants. Worst comes to worst I’ll hang on to it. It’s a handsome addition to my bookshelf and a nice piece of family history, even if it’s not my own!

Matt  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
 ;)

good luck

xin

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
A friend was on the point of throwing out the Family Bible together with another book awarded to another family member for doing well at school.  I rescued them - traced other members of his family and they were delighted to receive them.
So well done to you and I hope the bible finds a good home.