Author Topic: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to  (Read 7384 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 06:19 BST (UK) »
The National Library of Australia has an online presence known as TROVE ... and it is a treasure ...

here's the main live link to trove https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Within that, there many other sub-sections, including

digitised newspapers freely available to search and download, NO CHARGE

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q=

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Westbury, was born in Gloucestershire, England 1824. Before emigrating to
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder what information is given for Hannah's children on her d.c.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
HI JM
 I can see where you are going with this , i have sent away for the Deceased Estates paperwork .
cheers Steve

Offline GWestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SteveHayward1962
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the offer to view certificates etc... I would really like to accept your kind offer, by the way where do you live?
Today I read the Legal Notice in SMH 26/3/1894 which said Estate of JOHN WESTBURY, late of Leech's Gully, near Tenterfield, in the colony of New South Wales, Farmer, deceased, intestate. the Estate of John Westbury, deceased, may be granted to HANNAH WESTBURY, the Widow of the said deceased.  Intestate means that the deceased died without leaving a Will so that it was Hannah Westbury's Will that caused the controversy and she died at Long Jetty in 1952.
Cheers Grahame

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame

I live Taree ,NSW....... i work as a furniture removalist...... I will photo copy the certificates if you could give an address ....i have 2 more copies im waiting on ....i can see where the other gentleman is going ....where John is your great granfather and the  2 cousins missed out because James and John  were born out of wedlock ....the Will my grand father was a beneficiary of was William he died 1960 your grand father Johns brother .....after you told me how hard your Gran-dad and Gran-Mother did it financially .....i would be devastated if they missed out on a inheritance because they were born out of wedlock to John and Hannah  ..let alone missing out in the 1st place......my mum said her Dad bought his 1st house and a car with money and the will was set up in such a way that when Williams wife passed on her estate went to the cousins again...this Will was a big deal.....which ever way i look at it your granfather deserved better mate....this has been something that my mum has been trying to solve ......i have moved you step closer we are 2nd cousins once removed ...take care mate
regards Steve
PS my grand father roles in his grave when ever sees my writing ...he was a English History Master to balance things out i became a removalist ..lol

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
 :)

I am pleased you appreciate that I am an observer and offering suggestions and comments.  I am not a family member and I don't need to 'know' the intimiate information that you may find on file in the various deceased files/probate packets held at NSW archives.  They are public records, so anyone can (and do) access them without needing to formally prove they are descendants of the person about whom the file exists. 

We cannot be responsible for what the laws were, or are, or will become.  We cannot be responsible for the actions of our ancestors, who likely were obeying those laws applicable at the time, or society's understanding of them.   

Good luck, and good hunting.  :D

JM

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
JM your input has and is appreciated ....helped take the blinkers off.

cheers Steve

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
I was also unaware that Hannah Westbury had remarried as I was under the impression that she continued to use the name Hannah Westbury widow, when she died at Long Jetty NSW 1952?

Hi Grahame,
I am a little perplexed by this part of your information.

Can you clarify?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SteveHayward1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Grahame
i always thought she was Hannah Westbury until her death .
regards Steve