Author Topic: H Tidy 36 Field Battery d1890 India  (Read 502 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
H Tidy 36 Field Battery d1890 India
« on: Friday 31 August 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family research & am needing a little assistance with finding out about the above person's death & military service.

Harry Tidy was born in 1864 in Oxted, Surrey & dies on 13th July 1890 aged 26 in Hyderabad, Bengal, India & was buried the next day. He was a Gunner in 36 Field Battery (I believe this to be the Royal Artillery?)

Link here to burial record on familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGVY-T2F

There are a couple of pertinent records on FindMyPast, unfortunately I no longer have a membership for FindMyPast , would someone be able to take a look at those for me please? They are the 'GRO Army Death Indices' & the 'British India Office Deaths & Burials', record sets.

Also, I cannot find a service record for Harry, would one exist?

Would there be such a thing as a 'History' of 36 Field Battery along the lines of a regimental history or something similar?

Any & all assistance gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: H Tidy 36 Field Battery d1890 India
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
It was routine for service records to be destroyed when a man died, that appears to have the case here.  He died of heat apoplexy, you have all the other details such as it is.  You could apply to the GRO for a copy of his death cert citing GRO Army death Index 1890 page 490.

If he is the one still in Oxted in 1881 then his army service was not long

I am uncertain whether the present day (much amalgamated over the years) 6/36 (Arcot 1751) Battery Royal Artillery traces its ancestry back to 36 Field Battery of 1890.  (In 1889 there had been a root and branch reorganisation of the Royal Artillery involving renumbering and lettering of titles).  They are now part of 4th Regiment Royal Artillery at Topcliffe.  An email to the Battery Commander through the regiment  4RegtRA-UnitMailbox@mod.uk should establish that, they would have a history or know where one is located.  You could address a similar query to the RA Museum using the enquiries button at http://www.salisburyplainheritagecentre.com/

Good luck

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Many thanks for your assistance, very much appreciated.

I did wonder if his service record may have been destroyed, bu wasn't entirely sure, so thanks for clearing that up. Many thanks also for the links as regards further research/enquires about 36 Field Battery, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
enquiries@royalartillerymuseum.com.

New email address for the RA Museum although the archivist is on leave until Thursday 13 September!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 September 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David