Author Topic: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742  (Read 3702 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
John Fleetwood bap. 4 December 1707 St Anne & St Agnes, London, was buried at the same church 13 August 1710.  A search between 1700-1720 found no further Fleetwood baptisms or burials.
Okay, thanks.
So the only one that leaves me with in London at least, is the baptism of John Fleetwood, in 1700, the son of a William . There may be an extremely thin chance that it could be the John Eaton Fleetwood baptised 1729 in Wapping, the son of a Weaver. But I'm not too confident about that John being mine due to what would have been his low age of 13 at the time he married.

Much obliged.
 :) ;) 

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 September 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
The William Fleetwood, who married Elizabeth Barrett 21 March 1688/9 at Holy Trinity Minories, Stepney was a member of the Aldwinkle line, trained in the Middle Temple.  William was not a carpenter! 

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
The William Fleetwood, who married Elizabeth Barrett 21 March 1688/9 at Holy Trinity Minories, Stepney was a member of the Aldwinkle line, trained in the Middle Temple.  William was not a carpenter!

So this just was probably the son of another William if that is the case then. If not, then the only other one in London, was the 1729 baptism.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 September 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
I've been to the Library today and looked at Ancestry and Find My Past.
Regarding possible parents of John Fleetwood son of a William and Elizabeth, baptised in 1700, the closest I could find to Fleetwood was this Clandestine marriage, 24 of July 1692:

"William Flethed (or Flethod), and Elizabeth Roberts."
The original image looks like "Flethed/Flethod" to me.
I could not find any people with baptisms of this surname. So possibly could be a misspelling of "Fleetwood"?

Regarding possible parents of the John Fleetwood baptised in 1729, at Wapping, near Stepney, I came across this Clandestine marriage in 1725:
"(Joh?)n Fleetwood of St. George's, and Mary Symson."
You can only see the last letter of the Fleetwood's Christian name unless you zoom right into the original image. And there definitely looks to me like there are three letters before the "n", the last of which looks like a "h" in the style of other "h's" on the same page.

Just as an aside, there was also a:
"John Fleetwood of Mile End New Town, a Weaver, and Jane Grocer of same, spinster." They were married 24th of April 1698 at St Dunstan, Stepney.

I didn't have much luck looking for burials of John Fleetwood:

The 1763 burial was at St. Andrews Undershaft. He was: "a child of Kensington."
I found one in 1780, but it just stated the name and no age. I forget where in London this was.
There was one buried Dec 29 1788. It just said: "of Wilcot Place."
A John Cook Fleetwood was buried Jul 24 1789, at St. Paul, Shadwell.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 September 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Regarding the parents of Mary Muckle/ Mucklow:

There was a John "Muggall" (as the transcription states on Find My Past) and Margaret Simpson who were married in Stepney on the 29 of September 1719.

Jane Muckle, daughter of John and Margaret was baptised aged one month old in Stepney on the 20th of September 1720. John's occupation was put down as a baker.

When my Mary Muckle was baptised aged 10 days old on the 22 of March 1721 in Stepney, the father was also John, a Baker but no mother's name was put down. No mother's name was put down on the transcription on Find My Past anyway.

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 07 September 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Your finds are most interesting!  I agree that the 1692 marriage of William Flethed and Elizabeth Roberts is a good fit for the parents of John bap. 1700.  Similarly the 1725 marriage of John Fleetwood (yes, i agree it is John) and Mary Symson fits nicely with the baptism of John in 1729. I think both are unlikely to be the John Fleetwood you are looking for the reasons outlined previously, but I would be happy to be proved wrong!

These weavers could be related, you never know!

The 1763 and 1788 burials are connected with the glass sellers.  So far I have no further information about John Cook Fleetwood.

I can confirm that the transcription on FindMyPast for the 1719 marriage for John Muggall is correct.  He was a baker from Ratc[liffe] and was probably the John Muckle you have found. The original record in the parish register for the baptism of Mary in 1721/2 does not include the mother's name.  Perhaps she was not well enough to attend the ceremony.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 07 September 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Your finds are most interesting!  I agree that the 1692 marriage of William Flethed and Elizabeth Roberts is a good fit for the parents of John bap. 1700.  Similarly the 1725 marriage of John Fleetwood (yes, i agree it is John) and Mary Symson fits nicely with the baptism of John in 1729. I think both are unlikely to be the John Fleetwood you are looking for the reasons outlined previously, but I would be happy to be proved wrong!

These weavers could be related, you never know!

The 1763 and 1788 burials are connected with the glass sellers.  So far I have no further information about John Cook Fleetwood.

I can confirm that the transcription on FindMyPast for the 1719 marriage for John Muggall is correct.  He was a baker from Ratc[liffe] and was probably the John Muckle you have found. The original record in the parish register for the baptism of Mary in 1721/2 does not include the mother's name.  Perhaps she was not well enough to attend the ceremony.

Thank you,

On balance I believe it may be just ever so slightly more likely that my John was the one baptised in 1729. His father was also a Weaver, and baptised in Wapping, which is also very near to Stepney where Mary was born. I originally dismissed it in favour of the 1700 baptism, but now coming around to the idea. I have also noticed that if that is correct, both of their mother's had the surname of Simpson too.
In any case there are no more left to go through in the immediate London area anyway.  :)

Yes, I have a feeling that these Weavers could well be related, haha!
The 1744 baptism in Spitalfields of "Jeanne", is transcribed as: "Janne" (Jane?)on Find My Past. This was the French Protestant Church baptism. This means the John baptised in 1745 was only baptised twice, rather than three times.  :) ;)

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 September 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
As I see it, the only way John bap 1729 could be the one who married in 1742 is if his was a late baptism, for whatever reason.

It would be a help if we could find an apprenticeship record, but at this period father/son indentures were becoming increasingly unlikely and I have drawn a blank with the online records.

Quite a puzzle!