Author Topic: Any idea of date for this little boy  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea of date for this little boy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's the same child. Look at the curls on the first one posted.  How cute is he!  And I think it is a rooster he has in his hands.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
I was going to say that I think they could be the same child. The fringe sits the same way and though the photo of Robert is small and not clear I think the facial features look similar. If not the same boy, possibly a brother or other relative. Do you know if Robert had any siblings?

Added: Could you post the entire photo that Robert was taken from? The clothing of other people in the photo might help to give a better idea of the date it was taken. That way we can compare dates and ages of the children to try to determine if he is the same boy.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Robert's mother died before he was two so he was an only child.
I don't have a high res scan of this photo.
His father and aunts on his mother;s side are in this photo
The mother's family reared Robert and the photo of the unknown boy belonged to the youngest girl in the photo, which is why I thought it might be Robert.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
The photo and information are very helpful.

I took the liberty of PMing Jim1 and this is what he says about the photo of the unknown boy:

This kind of outfit was popular from the 1890's but as it has a sash rather than a belt would make it later. The dropped waist sash was popular into the war years.
It isn't a postcard as you can detect some of the backing which looks like one of those buff coloured cards used throughout the 1900's.
I think 1905-15 is a reasonable date range.

I would say that your second photo is a lot earlier, so it is not the same boy in both photos. Robert looks to be about 2 so the photo taken about 1891/1892?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thinking again .... It seems logical that the youngest Aunt would have a photo of Robert in her collection doesn't it? Who else could the child be?

I am wondering if, at a stretch, given the broad date range of that kind if clothing, if it could be Robert.  :-\

I keep looking at the way the fringes sit on the boys in the photo ...

Did any of the Aunts have a child who this could be?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
The youngest girl is my grandmother, it's not one of her children. The girl on the left only had a daughter survive infancy, the middle girl did have sons, I only have a photo of one. I'll have a look for it.
The girls have 5 brothers as well, so lots more nephews.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Found him, there were 5 boys in this family born from 1905 to 1911. Than their mother died as well.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
So many boys, so many possibilities.  ;)

Although older, Paddy looks very different from the other two I think. I can see a similarity between your grandmother, Robert, and the middle girl. Not so much the girl on the right. (They're a very good looking family)

You are lucky to have such wonderful photos.  ;)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Yes I am lucky, I'm trying to do a high resolution scan of all of them but I keep getting distracted by questions about them.

Lots of boys, far too many motherless ones sadly. I know of another 3 boys but I think they were all dark haired, I don't have much in the way of photos of them.

I guess I'll never know who this little guy is but at least with a idea of the date I can as least say he is likely one of my grans nephews, which is a step forward.
I do think Robert is a strong possibility as she was very fond of him and he lived in their house, but at that age it's hard to tell one cute child from another.
Thanks for all your help, the questions make you see the families in ways you might never have on your own.
I always think of my gran as having to bury four of her sons, I hadn't stopped to think she also lost three of her sisters and a brother quite young. At least she lived to be 94 so I did know her.