Author Topic: CLEARED. Vaccination  (Read 763 times)

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLEARED. Vaccination
« on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was in the papers in 1885, 1884 and 1893 for failing to vaccinate his children.  I've read on here that the 1867 Vaccination Act 1867 made it compulsory for children under 14 to be vaccinated.

He received a 12s 6d fine in 1893 for it.

1) Was there a charge for vaccination?
2) If so, how much was it?
3) Was there a general willingness to have your children vaccinated?

(He was a shoemaker and there's also a report about failure to pay his rates.  The street he lived on also confirms he was poor.)

Thanks

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
There wouldn't have been a charge for a compulsory vaccination.

Here's the likely reason he didn't  have his children vaccinated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccination_Act

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CLEARED Re: Vaccination
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Perfect.  There’s definitely a pride in a stubborn streak in that side of the family.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CLEARED. Vaccination
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
LDaw
I came across some info in information pages in old Belfast Street Directories earlier this year, there may well be similar in the likes of the Kelly's ones on Ancestry for areas of England, finding the page might be a chore. But to put it in modern terms seems the local GP was the Register of births and be would vaccinate free, I guess the idea was bring the child and do the two together. The rather limited hours surprised me though. Have pasted some snips together in the attachment, basically same published from 1870-1890.

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
He was a shoemaker and their address shows they had very little money.  None of the census records show any work for her.  I’ve only found 5 children so it seems reasonable (to me!) that she could have taken the children for vaccinations if they agreed with them. 

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was in the papers in 1885, 1884 and 1893 for failing to vaccinate his children.  I've read on here that the 1867 Vaccination Act 1867 made it compulsory for children under 14 to be vaccinated.
The Vaccination Act 1853 made it compulsory for all children born after 1 August 1853 to be vaccinated against smallpox during their first three months of life, boards of guardians were obliged by law to appoint public vaccinators who had to be medically qualified, and a registration system was introduced to ensure the effectiveness of compulsory vaccination.
The 1867 Vaccination Act strengthened compulsion by introducing repeated fines for non-compliance.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk