Author Topic: Edwin Arnold/Elizabeth mERCHANT  (Read 3729 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Arnold/Elizabeth Merchant
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
It would probably be best if Serra came back to fill in known information between 1901 and 1911 so that we don’t spend unnecessary time trying to find the last known sightings of Edwin & Elizabeth.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Arnold/Elizabeth mERCHANT
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 September 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, it seems she must know where they both were in 1911, since she is looking for sightings of them after that date. But at the moment I can't spot either of them in 1911.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline serra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking into this, I do already have the information you have found. There is so much information on this story and i refer you to these links

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=503981.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=505704.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=695402.9

There has been some quite extensive excellent research already done which is where i have gained much valuable information. I found this entry for Edwin in Malling and its not confirmed , which is why I am trying to ascertain his movements between 1901 and 1914. I cannot find him anywhere on a 1911 census. In fact i cannot find him anywhere at all. I cannot find Elizabeth Merchant after 1901 - mainly because she would use various alias surnames.

As you can see from the links, there are so many twists, its quite confusing mainly because there were alias names used and people jumping from place to place.

Serra

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Looks like the family had broken up before 1911.  Keziah Elizabeth Arnold (mmn Barnes) b Mar qtr 1901 Medway (entered on the 1901 census as “Jessiah” aged 1mo) was sent to Canada courtesy of Dr Barnardo’s aged 9 on the Tunisian, 5 August 1910.

The son Elijah Arnold birth reg Mar qtr 1896 Medway (mmn Marchant) had gone to Canada aged 11 in 1907.  For some reason on his Canadian marriage he gave his mother’s maiden name as Elizabeth Oliver.

Extensive and rather complex thread here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=502537.msg3593916#msg3593916

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I tend to think life’s too short for ploughing through lengthy old threads to arrive at the starting information for a new query.  I have had a quick look, however, and a key piece of information which we haven’t seen on this thread yet is that apparently Elizabeth is with a Frederick Oliver in Chatham in 1911.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 September 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Another piece of the chronology: the final Arnold child is Arthur Thomas Arnold, mmn Merchant-Barnes, birth reg Sep qtr 1903 Medway.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 September 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
apparently Elizabeth is with a Frederick Oliver in Chatham in 1911.

1911 census,
6 Coronation Cottages, Manor Street, Old Brompton, Chatham.
Althenia Welch, Daughter, 24y, single, Laundress. Born Notting Hill, London. 1887
Living with her Mother Elizabeth, age 50 & Frederick Arthur Oliver, age 29 & half-brother Thomas Arthur Arnold. Elizabeth had parted from Edwin Arnold and claimed to have been married 9 years and had 1 child.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWDK-XSL

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 September 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Since Elijah Arnold gave his mother’s name as Elizabeth Oliver when he later married in Canada, it is probably fair to infer that Elizabeth was not just boarding with (the much younger) Frederick Arthur Oliver.  I wonder whether she was in a relationship with him or a relative of his, and whether the relevant Mr Oliver might have been the natural father of Arthur b 1903?

Offline serra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 September 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
According to one of the posts in the threads "The children,  date range, 1879_1904 when Arthur Thomas Arnold(Thomas) was born.  He was sent to live with Charity Brown in Derby". Charity was another one of Elizabeth's Children. I'm questioning where was his father Edwin?  but if you have found on the 1911 census, then he was not sent away. It has crossed my mind that Arthur may not have been Edwin's son. Still not any clearer as to Edwin's where abouts at this time.

Also Edwin's Parents (Edwin and Keziah) were still alive, getting on but still alive and I wonder why they did not intervene with the situation concerning the children. Going on research with My Arnold family it was very common for family children to reside with other relatives - who ever had room sort of thing.

I appreciate the time guys i really do