Author Topic: The (Mistranscribed?) Clapp family in the 1881 Census in Bethnal Green?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: The (Mistranscribed?) Clapp family in the 1881 Census in Bethnal Green?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Keith     

We know what a pm is.     

The PM you mention is hiding detail that could stop us replicating searches for information already found.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Ray,
I disagree.  I think, and presumably the person who sent me the PM feels the same way, that the information was of a personal nature.  The very reason for the PM facility to exist on here.
Normally I am more the happy to share info and links, adding another piece of the jigsaw to the wider picture...
K

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

I do not normally send information by PM as like you I want to know what information is being passed on to the original poster.  Keiths request was that he wanted to know whether there was likely to be a headstone and I replied with a comment which I considered gave Keith and anyone else looking at this the answer as not many family graves contain 12 bodies.  " She is in there with 11 assorted others none with the surname Clapp"

I sent Keith the list just so that he could see what I meant and I did not consider that the information needed posting on the main thread as I had answered his request.  Details of who else is in the grave are available on deceased online.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:51 BST (UK) »

"I do not normally send information by PM as like you I want to know what information is being passed on to the original poster.      "     
The info may have been correct/incorrect.     You are aware of the number of times info is found but is incorrect.     
 if correct we can all stop looking (stop replicating effort, etc..).      If incorrect we can continue to help . . . . . .

By publically posting the list of names     

* We can see what was found

* Others searching the internet in the future ( ? for Clapp, etc.. ) are able to find the thread on Rootschat . . . . . .

By using PM, in this example, shows disrespect to those willing to assist.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).