Author Topic: Bridesmaid dresses in 1904  (Read 1916 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Bridesmaid dresses in 1904
« on: Monday 24 September 18 06:07 BST (UK) »

Have come across a detailed report of my Grandmother's wedding day in 1904. I am trying to picture the bridesmaids - can anyone help me with this.

She was accompanied to the alter by two bridesmaids who wore dresses of cream nuns veiling, with cream sash and black picture hats and carried bouquets of choice flowers.

The bride wore a dress of grey silk.

cupcake

Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bridesmaid dresses in 1904
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 07:19 BST (UK) »
I can't quite imagine black hats with cream dresses. It sounds too 'heavy'.

..... however I'm sure they all looked wonderful (as everyone in 1904 would have done).  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
I am guessing the bridesmaids dresses were NOT silk, or that would have been specified, probably cotton or wool according to the season.

Might we assume that although black for a picture hat does sound rather "heavy", cream hats were less practical for every day use, and unless the bride's family were wealthy, money would always be spent in a pragmatic manner.

It is quite possible the hats were trimmed with cream flowers made from off-cuts of the dresses. That would have been easy to do, and would change the concept wouldn't it?  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Some examples of 1904 fashions:

http://bartoscollection.com/fp1904.html

and the year before:

http://bartoscollection.com/fp1903.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 September 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
I can't quite imagine black hats with cream dresses. It sounds too 'heavy'.

..... however I'm sure they all looked wonderful (as everyone in 1904 would have done).  :)

I thought that too but, I am sure they would have looked wonderful. The colours would have blended in with the brides dress of grey silk  :).

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 September 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
I am guessing the bridesmaids dresses were NOT silk, or that would have been specified, probably cotton or wool according to the season.

Might we assume that although black for a picture hat does sound rather "heavy", cream hats were less practical for every day use, and unless the bride's family were wealthy, money would always be spent in a pragmatic manner.

It is quite possible the hats were trimmed with cream flowers made from off-cuts of the dresses. That would have been easy to do, and would change the concept wouldn't it?  :)

The Brides dress was silk. They were married in October 1904. I believe the Brides family were reasonably well off.I agree with you the hats may have been trimmed with cream flowers.

Thank you for your thoughts, gives me a better picture.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Some examples of 1904 fashions:

http://bartoscollection.com/fp1904.html

and the year before:

http://bartoscollection.com/fp1903.html

Gadget

Some lovely fashions back in 1904 and giving me a clearer picture of styles and what they may have looked like, back then.

Thank you

cupcake