Author Topic: National service Records?  (Read 495 times)

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National service Records?
« on: Monday 24 September 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

I know this has sort of been posted before and the was some useful links to government website and forms.

However does any one have any tips for navigating these applications are finding information on records for those who have virtually no starting info.

The problem is the forms like to know services numbers, start end dates, branch units etc they will even do searches but if they do not find anything then you still get charged.

I do know i have at least 1 uncle maybe more who did national service but other than there names and date of birth I have nothing else so it would be quite easy to come up with nothing or multiple incorrect hits.

So if anyone has any tips that would be most useful.

thanks for looking

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: National service Records?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
The application form does not require information about his service.  You will need a death certificate though and if I remember a date of birth.

I have just received records for someone who I was not sure if he was who I was looking for.  I applied stating I could not find evidence of his birth but I did send a death certificate. 

He was born before his parents married so his birth was registered under his mothers maiden name he was Harold James H....   - he joined up as James Harold P... (His fathers surname) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

You do at least have to know what arm of the service (army/RAF/Royal Navy) he/they were in so that you apply to the right place.  The process does say service number but if you have date of birth, as Rosie says, that is acceptable instead.  You do need the death certificate (and the £30) and note the bit about consent of next of kin you have to certify not send in a signed certificate!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
thanks rosie

thanks max  - always helpful  :)

I do have his birth and death  certificates, as i was able to obtain his war medals through help and advice on here.

after he left the army he worked in farming for a few years then when the 2nd world war started he moved the family to Harrogate/Knaresborough. He worked for the council a bit but then on his death cert it said about being a messenger. I know they have those giant Golf balls in that area some sort if listening station? maybe he relayed messages to there? he died in 1961 before i was born so i do not have any details.

a bit vague to be through £30 a shot about unless there is some useful info about him. don't even have any photos.

One link provided my max was a little hopeful in that it said the ministry did not keep records very long but. It did say the military kept civilian records for 100 years so there is some hope.

Although as a messenger it would still be worth while what sort of info they kept about him.

i remember ordering my dads merchant seaman's pouch from the national archives and when it came it was basically an envelope with his name on it, as they said some records were incomplete what a waste that was.

It will be interesting to here if anybody else has actually obtained a similar type records to get an idea of its contents

regards

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
that annoying, i meant to post this in the Air ministry post!

this one is about my uncle Edwin who was in the army branch and may have been a driver. By about 54 he had left the British army (which i assume was national service) and emigrated to Australia on some special deal for ex military who got there transport paid for them, where he briefly joined the Australian army leaving in 1955.

trouble with this one is that he died in Australia, but i do not know where and when (done in by his misses i think, bit of a black sheep!) So i only have his birth certificate but one or two of his brothers may have been in the service with him.

but all a bit vague

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Answer to the mis placed post on your other thread!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia