Author Topic: Help - cant find a marriage anywhere  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help - cant find a marriage anywhere
« on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know roots chatters love a challenge.

Looking for a marriage between William Westwood and Margaret Newman
Children
Edward - B 1886
Margaret - B 1890
Richard - B 1892
Betsy - B 1894
Mary - B 1898
George - B 1900

Found Newman as maiden surname via GRO birth records for all 6 children. All children born Fulham/Kensington areas. Found some baptism records on ancestry that give evidence for parent first names also.

I'm beginning to think that they didnt actually marry despite 1891 and 1901 census having westwood as surname for Margaret and 1911 having her as Widowed.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
Battman

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Help - cant find a marriage anywhere
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Same time frame as a marriage I was looking for and searched for years with no luck, waited for the 1911 and it stated they were married for 18 yrs, still never found it...... it was only when I was looking for one of thei chidrens marriages I found theirs 2 weeks earlier, then the 'can of worms ' opened as he was already married and 1st wife had only just died a couple of weeks before they 'eventually' married
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
From their occupations and continual change of birthplaces on census,  I suspect there may be a Romany element here.  If so, they often had their own 'marriages' rather than a legal one which could be the case here.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
From their occupations and continual change of birthplaces on census,  I suspect there may be a Romany element here.  If so, they often had their own 'marriages' rather than a legal one which could be the case here.

Annette

Annette did you find any other census returns other than 1891, 1901 and 1911?

Interestingly if as I suspect s.giles from 1891 is St Giles this is just a stones throw from Westminster (her birth place as shown in 1911) and Fulham and Kensington.
My feeling is that 1901 showing durham is incorrect - probably as its very difficult to read anything else into the handwriting.

Cant explain away the difference between wallingford and what looks like watford for william however.

Thank you for the suggestion and help.
Battman

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
GRO would of course, give Margaret's maiden surname of Newman but if she had been married prior to her marriage to Westwood it would likely be in her previous married name.

So what I am saying is that the marriage may not have been between a Westwood and a Newman but a William Westwood and a Margaret ?  although still correct to put Newman as her maiden name when registering the birth of her children.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
good point Pheno - hadn't thought of that possibility as being the barrier. I guess I thought of her as too young to be married twice.

But then thinking about this further the 1911 census suggests Margaret had 12 children. 10 of which died. I had only found 6 of those 12. Looking at the births of the 6 I've found maybe she was indeed old enough to be married twice as the other 6 children would have been born earlier at a guess. Her age certainly fluctuated between censuses.

Battman

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
The 1911 question asked 'how years & how many children of THIS marriage' though many twice married women did put the children they had borne in more than one marriage.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Just to add that I checked for a marriage between William Westwood and a Margaret (no surname 1866 +/- 10)  last night and, although three came up, none were in the London area - the nearest was Richmond in 1876.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Just to add that I checked for a marriage between William Westwood and a Margaret (no surname 1866 +/- 10)  last night and, although three came up, none were in the London area - the nearest was Richmond in 1876.

Gadget

Thanks Gadget. If the 1911 census is to be believed (though by then Margaret was a widow) they were married 21 years so a marriage around 1890 is likely. However I had been searching since posting and also found the Richmond marriage.
Battman