Author Topic: Family Tree DNA’s PUBLIC Y DNA Haplotree  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree DNA’s PUBLIC Y DNA Haplotree
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 September 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Melba, I will try that.  And report back after the weekend.

Martin

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this sugarfizzle, you can get a predicted Y-DNA haplogroup from 23andMe, AncestryDNA and MyHeritage autosomal male DNA tests using the MorleyDNA tool, instructions below

http://www.geneticgenealogist.net/2017/08/updated-method-to-get-ydna-haplogroup.html
I recommend using the ISOGG tree rather than the experimental tree, as that is apparently considered more inaccurate now.

Thanks Melba,

I thought I would give this a go too!

24: 1691 markers (2 no-calls)
0% of calls for this chromosome are heterozygous

5 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful.
388 recognised mutation(s) with positive calls.
1240 recognised mutation(s) with negative calls.
2 recognised mutation(s) with no-calls.

My most likely is R1b1a2a1a2c with the M529/L21/S145 being green for both ISOGG and experimental. Looking at the Family Tree site, there are 6 Clarks (surname Clarke) out of the 3,109 testees. 2 of the 6 are on R-DF21. Something to look into when Y testing hopefully becomes more affordable!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at the Isogg 2018 Y and I trembled at its complexity. What is more I couldn't find any trace of my particular end stop. FTDNA's experimental Y tree was simplicity by comparison but maybe because I knew exactly where to look?

In any case I shouldn't be surprised if Isogg is derived from FTDNA's team work and maybe the occasional cruising by professional genealogist will set us right.

Furthermore, I'd be very wary of Y DNA results from anywhere other than a reputable test centre such as FTDNA with whom I am merely a customer. The Morley "prediction" utility is already hedged about with multiple caveats regarding its accuracy and should only be thought of as a very rough guide.

Lastly, I had a peek at a couple of "name" projects and found therein that not all members appear to have the "name"; there might be a "Smith" and/or a "Brown" in a "Black" name project. Not all had the same Y DNA haplogroup; there were R, I, J, E, A...

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 September 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this sugarfizzle, you can get a predicted Y-DNA haplogroup from 23andMe, AncestryDNA and MyHeritage autosomal male DNA tests using the MorleyDNA tool, instructions below

http://www.geneticgenealogist.net/2017/08/updated-method-to-get-ydna-haplogroup.html
I recommend using the ISOGG tree rather than the experimental tree, as that is apparently considered more inaccurate now.

Thanks Melba,

5 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful.

My most likely is R1b1a2a1a2c with the M529/L21/S145 being green for both ISOGG and experimental. Looking at the Family Tree site, there are 6 Clarks (surname Clarke) out of the 3,109 testees. 2 of the 6 are on R-DF21. Something to look into when Y testing hopefully becomes more affordable!
I think most of us in the UK & Ireland are R1b of some sort or another, interesting % tables here

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/european_y-dna_haplogroups.shtml

it is also seems to be dominant haplogroup in most of western Europe

your particular haplogroup M529/L21 is particularly dominant in the British Isles - map link

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/maps_Y-DNA_haplogroups.shtml#R1b-L21

R1b 'family trees'

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml#R1b-subclades

It appears of your particular subclade, famous bearers were the Stuart Royals, William Gladstone, James Buchanan US President, Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism, and Che Guevera ;D! Of mine the L2, includes Plantagenets, George Washington, Grover Cleveland and Abraham Lincoln!

I've had a look at the Isogg 2018 Y and I trembled at its complexity. What is more I couldn't find any trace of my particular end stop. FTDNA's experimental Y tree was simplicity by comparison but maybe because I knew exactly where to look?

In any case I shouldn't be surprised if Isogg is derived from FTDNA's team work and maybe the occasional cruising by professional genealogist will set us right.

Furthermore, I'd be very wary of Y DNA results from anywhere other than a reputable test centre such as FTDNA with whom I am merely a customer. The Morley "prediction" utility is already hedged about with multiple caveats regarding its accuracy and should only be thought of as a very rough guide.

Lastly, I had a peek at a couple of "name" projects and found therein that not all members appear to have the "name"; there might be a "Smith" and/or a "Brown" in a "Black" name project. Not all had the same Y DNA haplogroup; there were R, I, J, E, A...
Oh, yes I realise it's only a predictor, although I think it's probably fairly accurate as it matches a FTDNA Y test a relative had done. I know you can spend £100s more to get a much more detailed test, I'll have to save my pennies I think ;). Re: other names in the one name FTDNA studies - I think that might be because a 'non paternity' event was discovered or deduced.

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 September 18 20:29 BST (UK) »

Thanks Melba,

I think most of us in the UK & Ireland are R1b of some sort or another, interesting % tables here

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/european_y-dna_haplogroups.shtml

it is also seems to be dominant haplogroup in most of western Europe

your particular haplogroup M529/L21 is particularly dominant in the British Isles - map link

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/maps_Y-DNA_haplogroups.shtml#R1b-L21

R1b 'family trees'

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml#R1b-subclades

It appears of your particular subclade, famous bearers were the Stuart Royals, William Gladstone, James Buchanan US President, Joseph Smith the founder of Mormonism, and Che Guevera ;D! Of mine the L2, includes Plantagenets, George Washington, Grover Cleveland and Abraham Lincoln!

Oh, yes I realise it's only a predictor, although I think it's probably fairly accurate as it matches a FTDNA Y test a relative had done. I know you can spend £100s more to get a much more detailed test, I'll have to save my pennies I think ;). Re: other names in the one name FTDNA studies - I think that might be because a 'non paternity' event was discovered or deduced.

UK sounds right - I'd be a bit worried otherwise!  ;D

It's interesting stuff!

When it becomes more financially viable, I'll have to have a look into delving even deeper!
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 October 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Living DNA 3 in one £89 for Y, Mt & at. Cheapest available... reviews favorable.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 October 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Melba, I am looking at:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-results-pages/

I can't see "... view by surname in the drop down box on the left,...".  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Martin

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
LivingDNA back to £99 >:(

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Melba, I am looking at:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-results-pages/

I can't see "... view by surname in the drop down box on the left,...".  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Martin
Hi Martin it's the link Margaret put in the first post

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/A