Author Topic: Possible date please. South Australia - Stevens, Barrett, Barnham family.  (Read 540 times)

Offline blueskyehelen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone date this shot? There is no photographer name on the photo as it looks as if it had been trimmed to fit the album. As it is outside it may have been taken by a family/friend rather than a professional photographer. Unfortunately no names are given, making it very difficult to place it into a family group, hence the 3 surnames as they are all possibilities. My only thought is if I can get an estimate of the date range from the clothing worn I could at least get an idea of which generation to look at.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible date please. South Australia - Stevens, Barrett, Barnham family.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
1890s and most probably mid-late decade. Nice photo. They look like Sisters about two years apart in age or thereabouts.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
You could be right about them being sisters Carol. I originally thought the girl on the far right was older and may be the mother but I think I was mistaken. (can you see on the original photo if she is wearing a wedding ring?)

Excellent photo. I may be wrong but would it have been unusual in the 1890s for photos to be taken outdoors rather than in a studio? Maybe the "trees" are props?  :)

Have you tried looking in the corners of the photo in different lights in case there is any embossing with the name of a studio or photographer? Maybe look at the back of the photo too?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few in my collection of outdoor photos taken earlier than this one...wedding groups in particular.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few in my collection of outdoor photos taken earlier than this one...wedding groups in particular.
Carol

That's interesting to know, thanks Carol. :)