Author Topic: Etiquette of showers  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Etiquette of showers
« on: Monday 01 October 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
I've been raking through some old Canadian newspapers, and have come across numerous mentions of a 'shower' being held in honour of a bride-elect. I'd be interested to know what the etiquette surrounding these events is as I have never heard of this practice before.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Etiquette of showers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 18 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks, hallmark. That explains the term 'shower'. One of the reports I found does mention a parasol.

Is there a difference between a miscellaneous shower and other types of showers? Is it customary to have a male child there to hand over the gifts? All of the reports I have read mention not just the hostess, but also whom she was assisted by. Was it not done to host a shower unassisted? Also what was the importance of the table centre, which is frequently mentioned?

Also the article cited says that the gifts handed over were usually small items. At what point were larger or significant items given?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
It's probably only in more recent times that large gifts became popular for showers (as well as the request to give money instead of presents). In the 1970s/1990s it was household items such as towels, sheets/pillowcases, electric toasters, electric irons, tea cosies, potholders, etc.
'Assisting the hostess' was a social thing- often seen in newspaper reports of afternoon teas and the like- and involved pouring tea, serving sandwiches, etc. In the case of a bridal shower might be the bridesmaids.
Another custom I remember from bridal showers is that someone collected all the bows and ribbons from the presents and threaded the ribbons through a hole in the centre of a paper plate to make a bouquet for the bride-to-be.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
I think you'd learn more by attending a hen's party !   ;D ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelorette_party
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_shower

It says in this article "mixed-sex showers have now become prevalent".  :o  No thanks.

What would be etiquette at one of those?  :-[
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
The "show of presents" is a pre-wedding event for Scottish brides and her female friends & relatives & neighbours.
Cowban

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks all.

Being a Scot, I am aware of the 'show of presents' custom (although I have never seen or been invited to one) and with 'hen parties'. It's specifically the 'showers' as described in Canadian newspapers from the middle of last century that I was asking about, and I am grateful to those who have explained some of that.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
In NZ, it was usual for the bridesmaids to send out invitations and host what was called a Kitchen tea, or a Pantry Tea!  Even a bathroom or laundry tea. Usually an afternoon event for family and friends.

This meant that the guests, (female) would all bring a small gift with something small and suitable for use in the kitchen.  For instance, cooking utensils like, a fish slice, a frying Pan, or other small thing.  A Pantry Tea gift might be canned food, packaged biscuits, bags of sugar, flour, and other cooking ingredients.  Soaps and cleaners and even toothbrushes and toothpaste for the bathroom.  Toilet brush and toilet paper for the loo! 

Usually, a morning or afternoon tea would be served, and then the bride would open her presents.
It was a girls only event.

The Best Man and Groomsman would host what was called a Stag Party for the groom, his family and his male friends.  Rather a lot of alcohol was usually connected with this event, which was usually held in the evening, but definitely not the night before the big event!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections