Author Topic: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????  (Read 1782 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
Another mention of David LOGAN, lieutenant in the Marines, residing "near Chirnside" (father Richard), admitted to the roll of the burgesses of the borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed May 23, 1783.

John HALL is also in the roll:
Oct 20, 1769, John HALL, "officer in the customs, Holy Island"

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy

Thanks, all interesting stuff.

The more I look the more David Logan(assuming there's just one) keeps popping up. He appears in Pigots Directory for 1828 listed as "Gentry". He also appears in the Burgess Roll for Berwick in several guises. He was mayor in 1803 and his name(assuming just one) is linked to several farms in Berwickshire. He appears to have been a person of some standing with a military history and interests in farming and politics. In particular he seems to be associated with Ferney or Fairney Castle near Coldingham. He is described also as the elder son of Richard Logan, which fits with other sources.

This, from historyofparliamentonline.org also suggests he may have been active in national politics:

"Nominating Ossulston, 8 Mar., the mayor Thomas Jordan Steel and the vicar of Berwick, Alderman Joseph Barnes, recommended him as a locally connected candidate and experienced politician. His sponsors, William Greive of Ord House and Alderman David Logan of Ferney Castle, Berwickshire, made similar claims for St. Paul. "

The quote relates to general elections circa 1820. St Paul is one of the candidates, Henry Heneage St Paul.

Given that he is a person of more substance than my usual Ag. Lab forebears, I would like to research him more.

According to my research I'm reasonably happy that a Jane Logan(1793 - 1874) married George Wallace(1795) but I would like to pin that down and ensure that it is the Jane Logan ie daughter of David Logan and Ann(Hall?). Some people have the marriage in 1815 but I can't find a marriage record. The death in infancy of a Jane Logan that Trish found is a troubling point but I can't see a reference elsewhere and clearly a Jane Logan survived to adulthood. One of the children's records on familysearch.org gives Mmn as Jane Logan.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
There must be two David Logans.

Sadly,this clearly shows that the Jane daughter of David Lieut. Logan died in infancy.

https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=R_265869272

Back to the drawing board :'(

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Yes that was why I was worried.
I presume she married George Wallace?

Do you have the Marriage entry?
Are any witnesses named?

1851 Jane is born c 1794 Tweedmouth, Durham
1861 c 1794 Berwick, Northumberland
1871 c 1794 Northbridge, Northamptonshire ( from Anc, should be Northumberland)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 October 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
May I ask where you got Janes maiden name from?
Was it from Son Georges Baptism?

1841 we have;
George Wallace   45
Jane Wallace   45
Ann Wallace   25
Thos Wallace   20
Philip Wallace   20
George Wallace   15
Robt Wallace   15
John Wallace   13
James Wallace   9
William Wallace   7

Baptisms,    St John the Baptist, Lowick, Northumberland;
GEORGE Wallace 08 Aug 1823 Son of George/Jane nee Logan*, Father a Pitman
+
 same Church;
PHILIP Wallace 17 Sep 1820 Son of George/Ann nee Locke***, Father a Pitman
(FreeREG)

Now interestingly Familysearch.Org has;
RALPH Wallace 17 September 1820 Lowick to George/Jane nee Logan*
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
I’m away from home at the moment so don’t have full access to records. However, I think that is correct that mmn came from the baptismal record. Still curious to know whether the military David Logan was the same as the one who became mayor of Berwick and lived at Ferney Castle  or are we dealing with two individuals.?

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 October 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Trish

Correct, I have the baptism of George as source of mother's maiden surname. I have inferred from the age of eldest child that the marriage took place around 1815 which agrees with what others think. However, I have not found the marriage record for George Wallace/Jane Logan and, as far as I can see, nobody else has either.

Locke surname is new to me. Could it be a recording/transcription error?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 October 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if I'm missing something, just checking ... if you don't have Jane's marriage details where do you get her parents' names from?

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 October 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
No, you're not missing anything. In the beginning assumptions, based on timing, geography, coincidence of surnames and other peoples' work which claimed a marriage in 1815 (no evidence though), looked acceptably sound. That is now not the case and perhaps the thread should be retitled to reflect that.
Can't take this forward until parents are confirmed but I'm now at the stage of wondering where to look next.