Author Topic: Coding help  (Read 620 times)

Offline Plotter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coding help
« on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
My Grandad's War record shows the following code - (like a three layered fraction):  22 over 5 over 58
It doesn't seem to tally with the discharge codes.  Can anyone help please?

He received the Victory and the British Medal but no Theatre of War is written on the card.  He was in the RAMC

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coding help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Could you post his name and number so the original can be seen?  Context is important.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Plotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for helping!
The actual card shows:
COLLINS             RAMC       Pte     22448
William
VICTORY    RAMC/101B115   9066
British                 "                  "

With the numerals
22 over 5 over 58 beside the medal column. 
It isn't his date of death.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
There are some service papers for him on Findmypast and that combination of numbers doesn't appear anywhere on those or on the medal award rolls.  It is not a form of note that I have seen on any of the many medal cards I have come across.

My guess, and it will have to be just that, is that it is some sort of administrative annotation made by a clerk long since, the significance of which does not relate to his service or his medal award.

Another, rather wilder guess, is that in 1958 someone got in touch with the MOD to check on his medal entitlement for some reason.

I would venture to suggest that a definitive, provable answer ie not a guess, won't be found although I shall be the first to congratulate anyone who does find one!

MaxD   
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
There are some service papers for him on Findmypast and that combination of numbers doesn't appear anywhere on those or on the medal award rolls.  It is not a form of note that I have seen on any of the many medal cards I have come across.

My guess, and it will have to be just that, is that it is some sort of administrative annotation made by a clerk long since, the significance of which does not relate to his service or his medal award.

Another, rather wilder guess, is that in 1958 someone got in touch with the MOD to check on his medal entitlement for some reason.

I would venture to suggest that a definitive, provable answer ie not a guess, won't be found although I shall be the first to congratulate anyone who does find one!

MaxD

My wild guess would be replacement of lost medals, but I'm with you, MaxD, that we may never know.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
MaxD and philipsearching:  many thanks to you both.  He died in 1959 but doesn't sound like the kind of person to want to see his medals in his old age.