Author Topic: Lannon Family  (Read 997 times)

Offline Anne1942

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lannon Family
« on: Thursday 04 October 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on my Great grandfather John Lannon.  He was born in Ireland abt: 1836.  I have hired a professional here in the U.S., but they also hit the proverbial brick wall.  From my DNA via Ancestry it is saying that most of DNA was from Mid Highland area of Ireland and Ulster East.  A possible 3rd of 4th cousin match has come up with a Cornelius Lennan from Kentucky U.S   The family word of mouth was that the Lannon's were from Roscommon or Westmeath.  I have found my great Grandfather married and having a family in the 1860 census here in the U.S.   So, I'M Guessing that if he was born in 1836 I figured he may have immigrated between the ages of 10 - 15 years old.  Would appreciate any input.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lannon Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Welcome to Rootschat!

What documentation do you have on John in the US other than the 1860 census you mention?

For example there may be:
marriage record
death record
obituary and other newspaper records
entries in local history books
probate records
naturalisation records
immigration records
military records
etc

A good practice is to make a timeline for what you know of him, and then look for records to fill in the gaps. For example, if he was born in Ireland in 1836, and was in the US census in 1860, then probably he married sometime between 1854-1860ish, and you can narrow it down further by looking at when his eldest child was born.  If he married in the US, but isn't on the 1850 census, then he must have emigrated between and his marriage date, and so on.

Also look for other possible family members living nearby in the census or who married in the same location - it is very common for people to have emigrated with family or emigrated to places where family or people from the same village were already living.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
From my DNA via Ancestry it is saying that most of DNA was from Mid Highland area of Ireland and Ulster East.
Should that be Mid Highland area of Scotland? Ulster East sounds like Counties Antrim, Down, Armagh but not sure that DNA will give such exact locations. In any event there have been lots of threads here on Rootschat about these ancestral locations given in DNA results.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/ancestral-family-tree-dna-testing/

Have a look at this topic on tracing Irish ancestors-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
And a warm welcome to Rootschat from me.

Could you let us know the details for John on the 1860 census (where and with whom)?  That would help us to try to track him backwards.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
I was mistaken in my U.S. Census years.  It was the 1870 U.S. Federal Census, and he was living in Jersey City (Hudson County) New Jersey.  He was married to Ann Kane, and had 5 children.  Ages 1-10.  My grandfather had yet to be born.  New Jersey Court of Common Pleas Naturalization records (1840 - 1890) found one John Lannon dated 19 Oct 1868, and witness by Michael Donohoe, no specific locations about Ireland was included in the record.  I don't even know if this is my John Lannon. 

Offline Anne1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
I have found that their (John & Ann) first child (Mary) was born abt 1861 in New York, also their third child Annie was born in NY abt 1866.  The town listed as birth was Port Jervis NY.  All of the other Lannon children were born in Jersey City (Hudson County) NJ.  In researching Port Jervis NY, I found that a lot of Irish Immigrants were used for seasonal work to build the Delaware Canal up to Port Jervis.  So I figured that John & Ann must have married abt 1859/1860.  Have search for marriage records for the two of them in New Jersey & New York, but have not found anything.  That would make John around 25 in 1961 if he was born abt 1836.  I have found some John Lannon's immigrating to the U.S.A. during the time of the famine, but which one is my John Lannon is the big question?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Annie was the second oldest child in the family in 1870, not the third.  Putting them in age order:

Mary 10 b New York
Annie 9 b New York
James 8 b New Jersey born 7 May 1864 & baptised 8 May 1864 at St Mary, Jersey City (“Lennan”)
Francis 3 b New Jersey born 31 Aug 1866 & baptised 16 Sep 1866 at St Mary, Jersey City (“Lannan”)
Bernard 1 b New Jersey born 1 Feb 1869 & baptised 14 Feb 1869 at St Peter, Jersey City (“Lanon”).

They went on to have Patrick, born 18 Jun 1872 & baptised 24 Jun 1872 at St Peter, Jersey City (“Lennon”).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
He was married to Ann Kane, and had 5 children.

This may be a silly question, but, as you haven't found the marriage, where does the information about John's wife Ann being KANE come from?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
The information on Ann Kane came from her death certificate where it lists her Father as being Bernard Kane, and her Mother as Nora McDermott (all born in Ireland)   On my Great Grandfathers deaths certificate listed for his mother name is Mollie with a ?, no name listed for his father.  My DNA from Ancestry is 98% Ireland & Scotland.  I'm also all Irish on my mother's side of the family, (Byrne's), my grandfather John Byrne's was first generation American.  The region broken down from Ancestry DNA are Ulster Ireland, and listed under that is North Midland, & Ulster East.  I believe the Ulster East may be from my mothers side of the family as, my son and a first cousin on my mothers side of the family are the only ones showing up under the heading of Ulster East. So that leads me to believe because all of my first cousins on the 'Lannon" side of the family are all showing up under Ulster Ireland (North Midlands).    My copy of the 1870 U.S. Federal Census, has the family listed in this order.  John age 33, Ann age 31, Mary age 10, James age 8, Annie 9, Francis age 3, Bernard age 1 and no Patrick, or my Grand father who was John Patrick Joseph Lannon being born in 1872.  I'm thinking that maybe "Patrick" is actually my grandfather John Patrick 18 July 1872.