Author Topic: Help with Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves  (Read 1406 times)

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not as think as you confused I am
    • View Profile
Help with Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves
« on: Saturday 06 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for some assistance please into where the various battalions of the RNVR would have been.

The particular man I am researching is Evelyn Hadley Charles Milliard - TZ/1043.  He enlisted on 21/7/15 and according to his demob papers he was with the 4th reserve Battn at Blandford until Jan 1918, he then was transferred (if that is the correct terminology) to Nelson Battn BEF on 26/1/18 and then on 15/3/1918 to Hawke Battn.

I have read around the RNVR quite a bit so understand a little of the history - that there were 8 Batts named after various admirals and ships and that these men, who were too numerous to all serve aboard a warship, then wore the uniform of the British Army and found on land alongside their army counterparts at places like Gallipoli for instance.

What I was wondering was, does anyone know the progression my man would have made - I can't pinpoint where he would have been at any one time, given the list of batts above.

If anyone can be of help at all that would be fantastic

Thank you so much in advance

Margaret

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Margaret,

Have you obtained your man's full Service Record?

My late Father was in the RNR during WW1 and his Service Record lists all of the ship's that he served on. I also have a photograph of him in naval officer's uniform. I've never heard of them wearing army uniforms.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
He was in the Royal Naval Division who were the RN men fighting on land and, as I think you have seen, the problem is to find which battalion he was with and when.  Here is some background that goes a bit further:
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/63rd-royal-naval-division/

Just need to track him if we can in the Navy lists.  Back soon

MaxD

PS The RN medal roll has him as Millard.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks both

Much appreciated

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry MaxD - my fat fingers adding an extra "i" to his name  ::) ::) - it is indeed MILLARD

Margaret

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
I'm being a bit dense.  From what you say be first went overseas (British Expeditionary Force) in Jan 1918 to Nelson Battalion and later moved to Hawke Battalion in March.
There are war diaries covering that time frame for £3.50 at the National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355472  Nelson
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355471  Hawke

His officer's service record says he was appointed Sub Lieutenant in August 1917 and demobbed in April 1919 (there is nothing else on it). 

More in a mo

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD - am trawling the War Diaries at the mo on Ancestry - me that's being dense I suspect.

Just trying to get a sense of his movements during the War - he died in 1935 in a TB Sanatorium in South Wales, according to the family he contracted TB in the war and was "never the same" again health-wise due to this. 

He was the first student at the College I am researching the signed up while still a student - which is why I am interested in him - he was half way through his teacher training at the time, but never returned to complete the course and instead when into the Inland Revenue, becoming at one stage the youngest Tax collector in the country - what a claim to fame! 

Margaret

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
I don't seem to be able to find his pre-commissioning papers (which I am assuming cover the July 1915 to August 1917 period). Guessing a bit he started as a seaman, was commissioned but spent only the dates you gave overseas with the fighting battalions.  Does that make sense so far?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mlr0663

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 October 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Makes sense yeap   :)

Noticed on his discharge sheet it says CS & AB - 14/9/15 and then LS 28/9/15 and PO 20/11/15 - do they stand for Continuous Service, Able Seaman, Leading Seaman and Petty Officer?