Author Topic: Any medals for US serviceman who committed suicide WW2  (Read 810 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any medals for US serviceman who committed suicide WW2
« on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help with this query. Not sure if this is the best board for this query or the US board but here goes. I have a distant relative who was in the US Army in WW11 who committed suicide in 1943. He had enlisted early in 1942 and I wanted to know what medals he may have been eligible for??

Regards
KK

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any medals for US serviceman who committed suicide WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
His medal entitlement would depend solely upon his war service record.

This https://www.archives.gov/files/research/military/ww2/ww2-participation.pdf would be worth checking.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Max

Thanks for your reply and link. His service record is one that got destroyed in the fire at the archives so all that I received from the US was some basic information. He was buried at Guadalcanal and his remains were moved at a later date along with many servicemen to be interrred at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii. I guess I am 99% sure he would have got the various medals as he did serve his time! I just wanted someone to say 'yes' he did. As the information is only for family members I think I will go with medals received.

Max, you may remember helping me with some queries last year on my Stevenson family and their UK army and Navy service records. This chap is one of the last entries for my book. In the last two years I have learnt a huge amount about the various services across many countries.

Many thanks to the rootschatters who have helped me along the way.

Many thanks
Pam

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Pam

I think it would be totally legitimate to say, without being able to define which, that your man would have received service awards particularly as he served overseas :
https://www.medalsofamerica.com/content--name-army-medals-and-ribbons-chart.  The US Army has always used medals and ribbons to reward skills and achievements where we might simply make a note in a man's record.

I am delighted to hear that you are nearing the end of your quest and, as always, if there are still loose ends you where to come!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Max

Thanks for the link. Have just had a quick look and will get back to it later.

Pam