Author Topic: Finding a burial  (Read 956 times)

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding a burial
« on: Monday 22 October 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
First time on here  - how have I only just found you?! - and hopefully someone can help with some of my HUGE stumbling blocks!

Latest one I would be grateful for some help on is burials; I know the date my grandparents died and the city etc but not the church they were buried and for some reason I cant find them anywhere on the online Council resources.

Any ideas?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a burial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

Maybe by adding some details like a name, date and place and people can help
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
oh yes - wasnt sure if I should!

There are a load I cant find but the one thats baffling me is Clara Yates died 1942 Birmingham and her husband Leonard died 1955.

Pretty sure the nearest cemetary for both was Heath Lane but I cant seem to find either listed; have looked at the usual websites so any help would be great.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
1842? Was it during the Birmingham Blitz? 27 July 1942, when around 60 to 70 bombers attacked the city. On 8 October 2005 a memorial sculpture, named 'The Tree of Life' sculpted by Lorenzo Quinn, dedicated to the victims of the Blitz was unveiled adjacent to St Martin's Church
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
I don't see either of them on here but have added it so you can look and have it as a resource if you are looking for others https://midland-ancestors.shop/pdf/indexes/BhamMIs.pdf#[0,{%22name%22:%22Fit%22}]

and
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50164/family_history_research/1562/tracing_a_burial/3

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I had the Bham City one but not the other.

Yes one was 1942 and the other 1955, just seems really odd as I know where they both died and that they were buried; its these anomolies that drive me mad but trying to resolve them is what keeps me coming back!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 October 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
Were they originally from the city?  If not, could they be buried in a family plot elsewhere?  Certainly I've come across folks being buried back in an area they had originated from or had previously lived in.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Not seeing a Clara Yates death in Birmingham in1942, but one in West Bromwich. Likewise a Leonard in West Bromwich in 1955.

Ignore. You have mentioned Heath Lane, which I now see is in West Bromwich.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 October 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
. I cant find them anywhere on the online Council resources.

Heath Lane doesn't look to be covered by the online search service for Birmingham Council. Sandwell MB Council records are available via Deceasedonline, but nothing obvious there for Clara or Leonard either.

As you have death dates for both, have you tried a local library that might hold newspapers from timescale, in case there is a death notice that mentions funeral time/location?