Author Topic: 1861 Paisley lookup?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline manui

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Paisley lookup?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 May 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gervaise,

It's an interesting possibility that there is a connection, but I haven't added to my research for a while. It will take me a while to reacquaint my mind with the family but, to be going on with, I know that Thomas Smith bn c1784 was not born in Renfrewshire, and that he married Agnes Hutchinson c 1803. Agnes appears to have died before 1841 so I don't know where she was from, but their eldest child, William, was born in Paisley.

I'm not going to have much time for the next week, but I'll try to remember to look into this more after that. We'll keep in touch.

Marion

Offline hannahjgervaise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Paisley lookup?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 May 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
To Marion,
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.
I don't know where  in Scotland Jane Erskine was born as she disappeared before the 1851 Census.
I know her husband died in Dundyvan,near Coatbridge before 1851.
I have no Marriage Cert. for William and Jane Irwin(nee Erskine) or any Baptisms for their daughters or any sons who may have died or left home before the 1841 Census.
The family did live in Port Glasgow before Paisley and there are Smiths and Erskines in Glasgow who were Tailors as well as in  Paisley.
Three of the girls got married in Australia-that is how I know who their parents were.Olivia stayed in Britain but I cannot find a Marriage for her to Thomas Bald.I don't even know a religion for the Balds as some of the Bald children were baptised Catholic and others not.The eldest daughter in Australia stated her religion as Church of England and from memory her sisters were as well when immigrating.
I plan on looking at Kirk records in Scotland and looking at Scotlands People records to see if there is a Smith marrying an Erskine at the right time.As I live in Australia this may not be for a while.

Regards,
Linda  known as hannahjgervaise on this site