Author Topic: Are my family from Tipperary??  (Read 4271 times)

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Are my family from Tipperary??
« on: Friday 12 August 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
The family I am looking for is Charles Maguire and Ann ( nee Kelly ) I  believe they came from Tipperary to England in the 1840s and had a daughter Agnes on July 12 1849.
How can I find out if the parents  were born and married in Tipperary? Are there any census's for 1831 and 1841. If someone has access to any information I am seeking I would be very grateful. Thankyou  Theresa

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Are my family from Tipperary??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 08 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hello thindle,

There are no censuses for 1831 and 1841 ... the nearest is a Census Substitute ... Griffith's Valuation of Ireland 1848-64 which you'll find on John Hayes failteromhat.com website. The Valuation in Tipperary took place in 1850-51.

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish.
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as Patrick was born before Civil Registration was introduced in Ireland. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

The Co. Tipperary Roman Catholic Records show when records commenced being kept at parishes in the county. www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fianna/county/tipperary/tiprc.html

Christopher

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher thanks for getting in touch. I don't think I can make any headway with Charles Maguire and Ann Kelly because I don't know the parish they were from. They were Roman Catholics and must have gone to England before 1848 since there daughter Agnes my gtgrandmother was born in July 1849 in Hull. She wasn't registered with the BMDs she was just on the church register at St Charles Hull.
Where it said Charles and Anne were born, it just said, Ireland. And why I feel sure it's Tipparary, is that my grandmother always said her mother Agnes came from Tipperary. But she didn't, it was Hull, her grandparents came from Tipperary. Anyway, thank you very much for taking the trouble to answer.
Kindest regards Theresa

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
Maguire in Griffiths Valuation - Tipperary 1850-51  
Catherine, The Quarry, Thurlestown Parks, Thurles
John, The Quarry, Thurlestown Parks, Thurles 
Stephen Hickey's Lane,Thurlestown Parks Thurles