Author Topic: Miller family knottingly  (Read 729 times)

Offline Keith Upward

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Miller family knottingly
« on: Sunday 21 August 05 09:36 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Quinn was my Great Grandmother.
August 15th 1864, aged 20 married Johnson Miller, Glassblower, aged 23 in the Parish of Leeds, County of Yorkshire. Mary’s Fathers name was Peter Quinn, occupation, Weaver.

Handed down hearsay from my Grandmother, Mother & Auntie, always referred to Mary as being Irish, however on the census forms from 1871 to 1901, she has always stated her birthplace as being in the Northeast. (1871 – Northumberland, Newcastle on Tyne.) ( 1881 – Durham Newcastle,) (1891 – Newcastle,) ( 1901 – Northumberland, Newcastle)

My Great Grandfather, Johnson Miller, always quoted as being a Scot, stated his birthplace as:- (1861 – Durham, Newcastle) (1871 – Northumberland Newcastle on Tyne) (1881 – Durham, Billingham) 1891 – South Shields, Durham) ( 1901 Durham Town  n k ? ).

Johnson’s birth was possibly registered under his middle name, James. His Father’s name was Alexander Miller married to Mary ? who by 1861 was widowed and living with  son Johnson in Rotherham.
Alexander & Mary were Scots, probably from the Stirling area and probably married there before moving to the Northeast of England, following the “glass making industry”. (Alexander was a Glass Maker ).
There were several of the Miller clan in the glass industry.

1871 census, Johnson & Mary Ann Miller. Children Catherine, & Robert lived in Powell St. Hunslet.
1881 census , Johnson & Mary Ann Miller. Children Catherine, Robert, James, William, Mary & Johnson, lived in Aire St. Knottingly.
1891 census Johnson & Mary Ann Miller, Children  James, Mary H., Johnson, Alexander, Ethel(my Grandmother) lived – Seaton’s Hard, Knottingly.
1901 census Johnson & Mary Ann Miller, Children Alexander, Ethel, & Granddaughter, Emily, lived in Aire St. Knottingly.

1} I am trying to find out more information on the family of Mary Ann Quinn, her Father Peter and from which Irish County they originated. I’ve been stuck on this one for sometime!

2} More Information on the Miller family pre 1861, i.e. where in Scotland Alexander & Mary Miller originally came from, marriage details, Mary’s Maiden name, when Alexander died. There are a few references to Alexander Miller (death 1859) and James Miller (birth 1841) from the Gateshead area. Maybe the 1851 census of that area would offer up a few clues!

Any information on the above, no matter how small, I will be grateful for.
 regards
Keith Upward