Author Topic: Mary Newman, William Newman Calne Workhouse  (Read 3118 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Newman, William Newman Calne Workhouse
« on: Friday 06 August 04 09:55 BST (UK) »
In reply to a personal message from Mistyrose I thought the following information may be of interest to others?
 Re: William Newman listed on the 1851 Wiltshire census as being in the Calne Union Workhouse b Bremhill, age 8 Scholar, I am looking for the Workhouse records to see if I can trace where they were placed
I  managed to get to the  Trowbridge Record Office yesterday, anyway the news is not so good I'm afraid, the Calne Workouse Admissions and Discharge Book/Papers  were not available apparently they have not survived. But - the Book of Minutes of the Meetings of the Poor Union have survived,  this is the first time I've ever done anything like this so I was a bit amazed, I was provided with the ACTUAL LEDGER to look at from 1849 -1852, there are several ledgers covering quite a few years I think but this seemed most appropriate for your dates.  The minutes are handwritten and covered in "minute" detail the meetings, including details of approved expenditure,appointments and fairly routine discussions.  But I did pick up that on July 4th 1849  "..an entrie of £26 to be made for the emigration of Sophia Oriel and four children to New South Wales, Joseph 9 yrs, Mary Ann 6 yrs William 7, James 5 yrs, each child to receive £3.15.0d, a payment to the family of £7.10.0d for passage, and £3.10.0d for outfits.
3rd week of July 18
found   " Ann Newman of Parish of Newton but residing Calne be relieved 2s/6d regularly"
Apr 24 1850, Emigration,
.... Brewer Family, Harvey Family sum payable to Mr F Marshall Emigration Agent for passage to Quebec.
May 21 1851
...Robert Alexander 19 yrs Ag Lab to Adelaide
 Sarah Weston 21 yrs, Dom Servant to Adelaide..
payment agreed.
So from these entries the Calne Union was actually assisting the poor of the Parish to emigrate, they employed an agent to do so. There were other entries but I couldn't find one for your Mary or William - not yet anyway.

I then started to scan read the pages to save time, and then WOW..
I think this may help a bit.. ;D
- recorded exactly as seen..
July 2nd 1851
The Case of Mary Newman and Children

" A letter from the Poor Law Board was produced relative to the case of these paupers and stating that the pauper's residence in the Parish of (Bramhill?) is broken, but at the time of her readmission to the workhouse the pauper appears to have been a destitute wayfarer or wanderer and therefore on that ground is chargeable to the Common Fund of the Union.."
I didn't have time to look up the 1861 census but will probably go next week if you haven't had a look up by then, I will also look at the Ledger again and see if I can see any more. I hope the above helps
Newbie.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Newman, William Newman Calne Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 04 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Newbie,

It was very kind of you to look up these things for me and it is very much appreciated. I was interested to read that Mary had been readmitted and that she is said to have been a destitute wanderer. I believe that she had connections to Purton [IGI gives her daughters baptism there]. I think Mary's parents were Joseph and Jane Newman from LDS IGI [he was the miller of Ridgeway Mill on the 1851 census] but I have no concrete proof. I have also found a death certificate for a Mary Newman registered at Calne June qtr. 1852 V.5a page 53. Could this be our Mary from the Workhouse?
 Question: If this is my William Newman
could he have stated his grandfather on this marriage certificate under fathers name. He states on 4 census returns [1871 middx, 1881, 1891 & 1901 Surrey] that he was born at Cricklade. Purton registers in Cricklade. Am I chasing shadows!!!!!

Mistryrose
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 04 15:59 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome, hope it has been of some help, shame about the Admissions/Discharge Book though.
Would it be of interest if I was to look up the Baptism Register for William and Mary? I've done that before! ~Could also check Burial for Mary for the reference you have in the June qtr of 1852 at Calne? Just let me know,
Newbie :)

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 04 17:16 BST (UK) »
I you don't mind that would be great.

Anything I can do for you just let me know,

Kind regards,

Mistyrose
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.

Offline Mistyrose41

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Newbie,
                       Regarding  the William Newman saga.....
I have made a little progress. William was baptised in the Calne Workhouse on 5th Novmber 1848 so I assume that he was born there. This would make him 3 and not 8 as transcribed on the 1851 census. I now have the death certificate for Mary. She died in the Workhouse on the 26th May 1852 cause of death Phthisis 4 years certified [PHTHISIS - any disease that causes wasting of the body esp. Pulmonary Tuberculosis]. I now need to see if there is a minute in the Poor Law Union meetings regarding what happened to her children. I have been told that William does not appear on the 1861 census for Littleton Middlesex so I assume that he is still somewhere in Wiltshire in 1861. Age in '61 would be approx 13. I am hoping to make a visit to Trowbridge what I need to know is, when you looked up the Poor Law Union meeting for me. [This is what the record office say I have to ask for reference No H4/110/6]. Was this the record that you looked at? Mistyrose.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 February 05 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Mistyrose,
I will have to dig out my book, and check for you, will get back to you,