Author Topic: Black Spots  (Read 5417 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Black Spots
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 August 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hooray
      I thought I was losing it for a while - THEY DO LOOK ALIKE
                              Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 August 05 05:16 BST (UK) »
Well--Rosa's grandson married Elsie's granddaughter so really there is no relationship not even a distant one as all Rosa's folk are French-Canadian for 400ish years give/take 100 and Elsie's folk are Englanders. 

I don't see the similarities but am interested to see what you see can you point some out?  Maybe it's because they are both young and dark haired??

Laverdiere

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 August 05 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn

I've just printed off the tutorial from Garys site. I will try it today. I'm particularly interested because sharpening images tends to bring a rather nasty patchy effect on the black areas of old photos eg mens suits, top hats etc.

It sounds complicated as it is using controls I've not used before, but Garys dust & scratches was also totally unfamiliar and now it is just second nature (thats how I removed the black spots).

I'll let you know how I get on.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 August 05 10:50 BST (UK) »
I had a go too, after a few weeks with no Photoshop...
Gary, do you have any knowledge of PS Elements?  I'm running Elements 3.0 for Mac, and would like to try your tutorial, but there is no Lab Colour option in the image mode menu, so I can't even get off home base  :(
Cheers
Prue

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 August 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
Okay so I had to pick the one feature that you dont have.
      The tute was based on photoshop, however I have elements on my machine and I am trying to find a way around the problem so please be patient - if it can be done I'm sure we will find a way
                                            Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 August 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Righty ho
    I,ve had a play with elements and come up with a system that appears to work but you will have to give me a while to check and write it up.
    Please though, I dont paint shop pro or any knowledge of it  so hope fully someone else may be able to figure that one out.
                              Denn

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 August 05 13:53 BST (UK) »
Denn, you're a star, look forward to learning how to do this!  :D
Cheers
Prue

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 August 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
Here is the tute for elements

Smart sharpen for Photoshop elements uses the following steps

S1   once your image is open go to image-duplicate image so that you have now have two images

S2   on second image go to image-mode-grayscale (yes to discard colour info’)

S3   Make sure both images are visible (you may need to resize each) then open the layers pallet on the grey image.

S4   hold down the control button and drag the grey layer in the pallet onto the coloured picture (holding the control ensures that the images are both aligned exactly)

S5   Check that your image now has both a colour and a gray layer, you may then close the second image (the one with only one layer)

S6   with the grey layer active go to filter stylize find edges

S7   remember the lines represent the area that you wish to sharpen so if they aren’t wide enough follow the next step. If they look wide enough jump to step 10

S8   go to filter-blur-gaussian blur. When you adjust the amount of blur notice that the more you blur the wider but more indistinct the lines become. You want a line wide enough to emphasise the edge, yet not wide enough to affect the surrounding areas.

S9   we now need to make the lines distinct again yet stay at the required width so go to layer-new adjustment layer-levels, we then use the black eye dropper on the black lines and the white eye dropper on the white areas. This may take a little fiddling to get the effect you want – if everything turns either black or white don’t panic just press your alt button and you will see the cancel button in the box will turn to reset, press this and start this step again.

S10   Now enlarge an area with one of the lines large enough to select the line with the magic wand (set at a tolerance of about 50) then double click on the little hand in your toolbox to reset the size of your pic

S11   go to select-similar and the selection should increase to include most of the lines.

S12return to the layers pallet and drag the gray layer into the rubbish bin at the bottom of the box. You should now have the coloured layer with the marching ants showing which areas you are about to sharpen.

S13   press control+h and the ants disappear, your selection is still active but we have hidden it so we can get a clearer view of the actual sharpening

S14   Go to filter-sharpen-unsharp mask and adjust until you are happy – with this method you can sometimes use levels as high as 500    HEY YOU’RE FINISHED

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 26 August 05 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lavadiere - no, it's just the whole general look - forehead, eyes, nose. They say one must look at the daughter's mother before marrying her ( the daughter that is) . Perhaps Rosa's grandson saw the ' family face ' in his new bride.  What do you think DENN as you didn't answer the question !