Author Topic: Just a thought -10 generations  (Read 6524 times)

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
Just a thought -10 generations
« on: Friday 06 August 04 17:01 BST (UK) »
We all have
2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great grandparents
16 great  great grandparents
32 great great great grandparents
64 great great great great grandparents
128 great great great great great grandparents
512 great great great great great great grandparents
1024 great great great great great great great grandparents
and then of course
all their siblings, cousins,second cousins,uncles, aunts,great uncles..................................
phew!
Where do you get the time to do anything else?

Tom Gaunt
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought -10 generations
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 04 18:10 BST (UK) »
NICE ONE TOM ;D
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
You mean some people WANT to do other things??!

:o
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 04 11:13 BST (UK) »
And of course we should remember that our family tree is also their family tree.  It is easy to lose sight of that. 

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Ancestral facts
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 04 13:12 BST (UK) »
I'd like to sell this off as mine, but as its available on several mailing list, I won't. Its funny just the same though.

Fact No. 1:
Everybody of us knows, that our ancestors double in number in every generation. Our parents had each two parents and they had, too – nothing new so far.
How far did you get back? The oldest ancestor of my daughter is number 50.688...

Fact No. 2:
The further we go back in time, the smaller was the world population. Sooner or later we find matches with other researchers. - Nice...

Now the paradox:
Lets say, every 25 years there is a new generation. (I know! Our generation usually needs a little longer to produce descendants. But in former times 25 years was a good age.) So back to the year 0 we would have 80 generations. How would the development of the world population look compared to the number of our ancestors?
In the year 2000 we had about 6.080.000.000 people on this earth and only me - or you - as the end of our pedigree.
Only 50 years ago, in 1950, there were only about 2.555.000.000 against the four of my grand-parents.
In 1900 1.550.000.000 people surrounded my greatgreatgrandparents, who were sixteen persons.

Let’s jump to 1750, when about 629.000.000 people ran around in the world, of whom 1.024 were my ancestors. In 1500 1.048.576 people of 425.000.000 shared my - or your - blood.
The best is still to come: In the year 1250 the world was populated by about 400.000.000 people. But my ancestors dominated them by far, being 1.073.741.824 in number!!!
In the year 1000 my 1.099.511.627.776 ancestors lived in a world with only 254.000.000 people.
About 500 my kinship had 1.152.921.504.606.850.000 members, but the globe had only 190.000.000.

And when Jesus was born my people crowded this planet with 1.208.925.819.614.630.000.000.000, where only 170.000.000 humans existed.

First question: Are we from Mars, though?
Second question: How did they get cope with environmental problems?
Third question: Who can name this number loudly?

That's it. I won't think about it anymore, because I need some sleep tonight. Probably somebody of you will be polite and explain this to me some time.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 04 19:24 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't do numbers, I'm too girly!

But when my cousin came over from Illinois recently, I told her that the Welsh were the true Britons, due to the Romans, and other invaders, finding it very difficult terrain to invade.  It was an uphill task, if you'll excuse the expression.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 04 22:35 BST (UK) »
I'll just have what D ap D is on  :)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 01:22 BST (UK) »
One Heptillion, two hundred and eight hexillion, nine hundred and twenty five quintillion, eight hundred and ninteen quadrillion, six hundred and forteen trillion, six hundred and thirty billion.
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 01:37 BST (UK) »

My brain hurts!! :'(

Darcy ;D
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk