Author Topic: Meurig Buildings Dolgelly  (Read 2118 times)

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Meurig Buildings Dolgelly
« on: Sunday 11 September 05 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me!?!  In 1891 (according to the Census) my Great Grandfather and family lived at number 2  Meurig Buildings, Dolgellau.  Does anyone know where this is in relation to streets now.  My brother is travelling up that way in the next few weeks and said that he may go and have a look round and take some photos.  So any help would be really great.
Many thanks
Nickyhug :)
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Meurig Buildings Dolgelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 05 23:44 BST (UK) »
The full name of the place is Bryn Meurig Buildings (if you look at the 1901 Census, you will see that is what was used then). My postcode finder suggests that only numbers 3, 4, & 5 are still standing, however number 2 may still be there but with a house name.

Bryn Meurig is the name of the hill on which the parish church stands. Bryn Meurig Buildings are on Lombard Street fairly close to the Church.

If you look here:

Map.

It gives a general idea of the location.

The easiest thing for your brother to do might be to head for the area around the church and see if he can grab a friendly local to pinpoint the exact location for him.

Strange thing about your Great grandfather in 1891, he could speak only Welsh and his wife could speak only English - I wonder how they communicated? ;)

Offline nickyhug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meurig Buildings Dolgelly
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dolgellau.  In 1901 they lived in Springfield Street, which appears to be almost round the corner!  And in 1861, 1871 and 1881 the family are living in Lomard Street, I wonder if Meurig Buildings is the same house as Lombard Street?!?  On the 1901 Census it states that my Great Grandfather could speak both Welsh and English - maybe he learnt English or the 1891 Census was incorrect!! :D
Thanks once again
Nickyhug
Edwards - Wales & London, Torrance - Hampshire, Stokes - Devon, Waller - London, Andrews - New Zealand